• Quick Navigation
Photo

Honey in product does it require label warning for infants?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tomato Country Girl

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:36 PM

Greetings,

Our PD group is working on a new project where we will be making a honey based ketchup.  Can anyone give insight into whether or not a warning label should be put on the bottle warning children under 12 months to not consume?

Have checked reviewed 21 CFR 101.17 Food Labeling warning notice and safe handling statements found nothing, checked FDA draft guidance on labeling of honey and honey products.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Regards,

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

It's not a requirement to put a warning on pure honey, so it certainly would not be a requirement on products simply containing it. You do see it on a lot of branded honey's but that seems to be a CYA measure.

Overall, I'm not sure I would necessarily include it. It's on your ingredient statement for anyone looking for it. I think my determining factor would be whether the product appears to be marketed directly to children or to adults.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:41 PM

So honey and babies is due to botulism risks

As your ketchup will be cooked?? and then have a pH <4.6?? there should not be any risk of your product having botulism

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

So honey and babies is due to botulism risks

As your ketchup will be cooked?? and then have a pH <4.6?? there should not be any risk of your product having botulism

The specific botulism risk to infants is from spores however, so unless you retort the thing, in theory there are spores there. Babies allow dormant spores to grow, while adults need toxin or vegetative clostridium.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users