Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:35 PM

I am in dough making business and i just needed some help in how guys in the same field are doing/cut down the risk of metals when one does not have a metal detector.( mostly from mixers )

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

Does your mixer have metal to metal contact? I'm thinking additional PM's and a rigorous SSOP would be a good start.. 

Could you provide any additional details? Is the dough processed into something? Or is it made and then frozen? Is the mixer you concern? 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

I am in dough making business and i just needed some help in how guys in the same field are doing/cut down the risk of metals when one does not have a metal detector.( mostly from mixers )

As i recall, a well-known Company (not in food processing) previously used a baking-related photo for its brochure. This was picked up here for a "What's wrong with this ?" exercise. Some distinctly damaged-looking trays in the background were one of the first scrutinised observations.

As previous Post, the typical approach to "attempt" to justify no MD is via focussing (ie risk assessing) on known metal fragment-generating process steps/equipment and blanketing them with GMP controls. This may/may not be successful.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

John muendo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Guys Just To elaborate. I make dough and sell to pizza stores and i am implementing HACCP in my facility, my question was how do i assure my customer metal risk is taken care of  in my dough balls when i do not have a metal detector

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:46 PM

Proof of equipment inspections before and after production runs for damage would go a long way. Per Charles above comparing to a picture of "undamaged" equipment at critical times and launching an investigation when any damage is found (such as a stratified sampling plan to look for visible metal if small fragments are expected).

What eventually happens is that you'll find that you have like 1 bolt or washer missing, realize it's in one of your biscuits, and be put in the awkward position of having to release or throw away the day's production.

Metal detector is going to make your life better.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

StevenSnyderQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

If you are implementing HACCP your CCP will be metal detecting I would recommend you get a metal detector and check it at incremental times and document it. Better to be safe than sorry all the rules have changed and this is what is expected now sorry

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

Was in the same position you are currently in at a previous facility, similar product...speaking from experience, you're better off getting some type of metal detection. The cost will be justified and returned ten times over after your first metal incident and you either a. have to go fishing through boxes of dough for a bolt or washer or b. have to throw away an entire production run.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:21 PM

Hi john muendo,

Any further thoughts ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:19 AM

Hi, John.

While I agree with most of the above, I have different view on the metal detector, that installation of such should verify your control upstream (meaning, how you do some SSOP and PM with your equipment). Often the case, when MD is installed, much of the effort is exerted in MD. While I understand this, as it is often labelled as CCP/oPRP and monitoring should be more frequent for activities or steps where this is identified, you must also understand its limitation and strengthen controls on process where its limitation will impact the most e.g. if you use wire cutter and your wire get broken, depending on the length and orientation, your MD will find it difficult to detect (in literature, the size of your test piece will be around 3-4x the size of a wire to be detected by MD.)

While you dont' have it now, intensify training and control (pre and post run check, center lining marks, inventory etc..) and you are good with the basic and you install MD, you will be more confident with your schemes.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users