• Quick Navigation
Photo

What qualifies as sufficient Forklift Training?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

I just came back from a meeting with out maintenance supervisor and he is wondering about forklift training. What qualifies as sufficient training (a course, video, etc.)? What have you used that seems to work best?

(Our facility does not have any certifications, we are only audited by the FDA and the local health dept.) 

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

Powered Industrial Equipment Training comes with three major things that need to be covered:

Formal Instruction

Practical Application

Knowledge Testing

I have attached the OSHA Code and Powerpoint.  It will help build out what you are looking for.  Then you just need to create a standardized quiz and keep records of the results as well as who has been trained.

Attached File  OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178.pdf   747.09KB   56 downloads

Attached File  OSHA PIT (Primary Material).ppt   2.05MB   46 downloads

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 2 Members:

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

The only thing after what Brendan mentioned above is just repetition and getting used to driving and fork movement. But simply just completing the test after instructions and practical application is not enough. The driver must be constantly aware with the safety of others and him/herself. I recently just got forklift certified and it's like learning to ride a motorcycle. At first the person is wary. Then comfort sinks in and that's how getting hurt happens. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

Powered Industrial Equipment Training comes with three major things that need to be covered:

Formal Instruction

Practical Application

Knowledge Testing

I have attached the OSHA Code and Powerpoint.  It will help build out what you are looking for.  Then you just need to create a standardized quiz and keep records of the results as well as who has been trained.

attachicon.gif OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178.pdf

attachicon.gif OSHA PIT (Primary Material).ppt

Cheers!

Do you use the forklift manufacturer for the pre-use checklist or did you create your own? 

workingood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2021 - 04:18 PM

To do this job, you need to be at least 18 and have a high school diploma.
Without it, there aren't many jobs that you can apply to or forklift training courses that will take you. As I just mentioned, you also need the required safety training and certification to operate the forklift. Once you meet all these criteria, you can look for forklift driver positions. When I was looking into becoming a forklift operator, I did my training over at xxxxxxx I highly recommend their courses. I ended up with a lot of skills after them.

Edited by Charles.C, 15 December 2021 - 09:45 PM.
link deleted,3-year old thread

workingood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:05 PM

To do this job, you need to be at least 18  and have a high school diploma.
 Without it, there aren't many jobs that you can apply to or forklift training courses that will take you. As I just mentioned, you also need the required safety training and certification to operate the forklift. Once you meet all these criteria, you can look for forklift driver positions. When I was looking into becoming a forklift operator, I did my training over at https://anguslifttru...ning-leicester/. I highly recommend their courses. I ended up with a lot of skills after them.

Edited by workingood, 16 December 2021 - 12:09 PM.

hello.fizz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 23 June 2022 - 02:19 AM

In Australia all fork lift operators must have undergone a 2 day, third party training course that includes theory (eg. understanding of centre of gravity), safety (eg. checking it is working properly) and operational (performing a task). They then get a 'high risk licence' and can be employed as a forklift driver. The only legal way for someone without this license to operate a forklift is for them to be classified as a trainee driver, and to be supervised at all times. The licence needs to be renewed every 5 years (by paying a fee online). 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forklift, training, fork, lift, safety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users