• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Estonia
    Estonia

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hello everybody

i have a question about BRC demand on colored detactable plasters. iI understand that plaster color need to be different from product color , preferably blue and include metal strip so it can be detected by metal detector. It also says that usage should be monitored , interpretation guide says that there should be issue procedure , where all plasters taken should registered (by whom, when etc). I am trying to understand the background and purpose of having plasters registered (for example, as an log book) . We have blue with metal strip plasters in place, we test those each new batch, we have lost procedure (report once plaster is lost) and also our traceability system allows to connect people who were responsible for production of every single lot of our product. During last audit auditor said that this is not enough as we don't have an log book . What's the purpose of having this log book apart of having information on cuts and grazes for work safety purpose?

Thank you in advance!

chris@crepecuisine

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 101 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

Hi Deena,

Do you have an accident log book?

Do you have trained first aiders that give out plasters?

You could easily construct a sheet that whoever is giving out the plasters record the name of first aider (or equivalent), name of person receiving the plaster, amount of plasters used and reason for giving a plaster out. 

Perhaps you could get first aiders to stock check your first aid kits also.  Do you have lockable first aid boxes?

Hope this helps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:51 AM

Have you asked your auditor why? 2nd, have you verified if your current system work? If you can show the auditor that it works the same principle as it should when you are having a logbook then your system should be sufficient.  Perhaps the intention on the logbook is to show form the start who were issued and if there is something recovered by a complaint or rejected in place, you will who was issued during the day. Then again, if your system is traceable and your people is trusted to remove whenever with incidences then you can show that to your auditor  asking what is the difference and lacking info to say yours are not working.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:00 AM

Hi Deena185,

The auditor is correct, the BRC Food Standard requires plasters to be issued and monitored. This means you must record who is given a plaster. It is not too difficult to create a log sheet or introduce a logbook.

Kind regards,

Tony

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:39 AM

How would this logbook go with the new GDPR law? 

Our HR department is currently working out what we need to change in order of how and where staff write/sign their names.

Especially medical documents, which a band-aid logbook would qualify under, no?

chris@crepecuisine

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 101 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

With regard to GPDR,

so long as there is a legitimate reason, (monitor and record issue of blue plasters), then you can display names on these sheets. 

Just don't sell the data to a cheaper blue plaster manufacturer :roflmao:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:40 PM

You could also just use employee #'s no?  That way you will be following the employment standards and the BRC code

YOu may want to train your monitors to check the log book to see who's wearing a bandage otherwise the whole program doesn't work.........i.e. how would they know who to monitor

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

You could also just use employee #'s no?  That way you will be following the employment standards and the BRC code

YOu may want to train your monitors to check the log book to see who's wearing a bandage otherwise the whole program doesn't work.........i.e. how would they know who to monitor

I don't think it's fair to the person filling in and maintain the logbook to learn all employees # number.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

the employees would be responsible for knowing their own number

Do you have MONITORING in place?  If you're logging it, one would expect to see something like  12:43; Dave's bandage in still in place

chris@crepecuisine

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 101 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:04 PM

I’m sorry but treating employees as numbers is damning to a food safety culture
You can display a persons name with reason, the reason is controlling the issue of blue plasters so they don’t end up in product

chris@crepecuisine

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 101 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

What about writing the employee clock card number on the plaster so if it does turn up somewhere unexpected you know who had it last?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

Chris;

I was talking about the reference above to an employee rights issue and suggested employee numbers as a way to manage both at the same time

Writing on the bandage is a great idea, but doesn't suffice for monitoring........if you've found it it's already contaminated everything it's touched

Deena185

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Estonia
    Estonia

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Hi everybody, i would like to continue my raised concern with new challenge:)

so now we have a system for issuing of band aids, people register and also we count those ones and do inventory. Now our OHS would like to take into use metal detectable blue bandage roll which people can cut themselves with the needed length . Question: how now register this, in cm and do inventory by measuring of how much of the roll has been used? This feels quite rediculous.

VThiruselvi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:31 AM

The usage and recording of the bad aids are generally requirement in Food hygiene and OSH on the understanding and risk of contamination.  

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

Hi everybody, i would like to continue my raised concern with new challenge:)

so now we have a system for issuing of band aids, people register and also we count those ones and do inventory. Now our OHS would like to take into use metal detectable blue bandage roll which people can cut themselves with the needed length . Question: how now register this, in cm and do inventory by measuring of how much of the roll has been used? This feels quite rediculous.

Does your existing system not still work for this?
The primary issue is knowing how many band aids are out in use in the factory, so keeping a log of how many are issued, when, and to whom, would still cover that?
The size of the band aid with which the person has been issued is arguably immaterial, given that you don't want one in a product whether it is 1cm x 1cm or 300cm x 10cm ;)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users