• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hello,

I currently started work at a pasta making facility, (I only have experience with sauce so this is a little new to me).   They currently make ravioli, gnocci, perogies, etc.  This is all freshly made and then frozen for distribution, with cooking instructions on the labels.  Fillings for the pasta and the pasta are made concurrent and filled immediately then going directly into the freezer.  I noticed that they temp the ravioli fillings after the ingredients are blended.  The fillings do not contain meat or seafood and all eggs used are pasteurized.  However, they do not temp the dough.  When I asked for a reasoning, no one was quite sure it was just something they started doing years ago but don't remember why.  My question is do the fillings and the pasta need to be temperature monitored?  My thought would be to do a risk assessment to prove the products are made and put in the freezer in under 4 hours, they have never determined how long it take for the temperature of the product to drop in the freezer but we are monitoring that today.  Thanks! Sorry if this a common sense question, pasta is just not something I am familiar with.  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

"My question is do the fillings and the pasta need to be temperature monitored?" 

Answer: YES

It would be interesting to watch the facial expressions of an Auditor as he/she asks --- and tell me again why you started doing that?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

emilya76

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:41 PM

Thank you! I was just as confused since they have had many third party audits and have never been asked this question.  

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:50 PM

i would assume they stopped temp checks on the dough because

too cold--can't work it

too warm--can't work it

just a thought

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

emilya76

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

They never stopped to begin with because they never started. The dough does need to be warmer to work with but I am not sure if this puts the product at risk.  It does have eggs but they are pasteurized.  

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

Dear Emilya,

When you start monitoring the temperature, you need to be sure to the worst place (the highest temperature of the dough in the case of cooling down). Furthermore you can think about the use of several loggers, to see how it decreases during cooling.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

emilya76

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

Dear Emilya,

When you start monitoring the temperature, you need to be sure to the worst place (the highest temperature of the dough in the case of cooling down). Furthermore you can think about the use of several loggers, to see how it decreases during cooling.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

We do have data loggers and have monitored the temp in the temp in the 'worst case scenerio' I am just confused on if the dough actually needs to be monitored and what the hazards are.  Pasterurized eggs that are in the dough are considered less of a risk of but still should not be left out for more than 2 hours but then doing some research people actually leave fresh pasta out to dry for 3 to 4 hours at a time.  So i am just not sure if we should be monitoring for a safety risk if there is actually a risk at all.  

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

Emily

This may help; CFIA guidance regarding pasta

http://www.inspectio...197?chap=0#s6c5

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Jaskaran Singh Saini

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:55 AM

Hello
Not required for hazard. But if you are working on quality improvements and variations in product reduced then you can monitor and control

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 pro using Tapatalk

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users