• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to list Stevia in other ingredients?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

Hello, 

How would you list Stevia on a supplement facts panel.  We just recently received a letter from the FDA saying that Stevia is not approved as a food additive and states "It must be one of the approved forms (rebaudioside A, for example).

How would one list this exactly on the panel.  

Stevia (as rebaudioside) ?   I see other companies still list Stevia.

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:56 PM

I recently saw a product that lists it as:

Reb A (Organic Stevia Leaf Extract)

Sarahb3339

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:00 PM

Thank you. I found the statement below on the FDA website.  Does this mean stevia leaf can't be listed? or are they saying that it can if you specify that its high purity steviol glycosides?

The plant commonly known as Stevia contains steviol glycosides, which are used as sweeteners. If food ingredients, such as sweeteners, are generally recognized as safe (“GRAS”), they do not require FDA approval as a food additive. Based on its review of information and data submitted by industry in GRAS notices submitted to FDA, FDA has not questioned the GRAS status of certain high-purity steviol glycosides for use in food. These high-purity steviol glycosides may be lawfully marketed and added to food products sold in the United States. However, stevia leaf and crude stevia extracts are not considered GRAS and do not have FDA approval for use in food.

Miri

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

I don't have a precise answer to the question, but may help you with your decision on how to label.

Glucosylated Stevia extracts are GRAS (FEMA # 4845).  https://www.femaflav...-stevia-extract

FEMA's Flavor Profile states "Can impart a licorice, creamy note within flavor formulations; At low levels can alter the perception of sweetness, but does not impart sweetness at the levels used as a flavoring ingredient.

That said, I believe the labeling depends on if you are using it as a sweetener, or as a flavor/flavor enhancer.  

Miri

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

The attached article from Perfumer & Flavorist magazine might provide some additional insight on stevia labeling.  It is written for flavor chemists, but addresses stevia and food (it pick up the topic about halfway through the article).  There is a link in the article to contact the author.  She may be able to provide some guidance if you still have questions.

Attached File  FEMA GRAS and U.S. Regulatory Authority_ U.S. Flavor and Food Labeling Implications.pdf   276.48KB   39 downloads

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users