Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

I'm trying to follow word by word the implementation guideline from IFS Standards Product Fraud, as I know that the same document will be used for auditing by some auditors. Because we are a service provider and never purchase raw materials, just packaging material, I'm trying to build up the mitigation plan only on packaging material. While there is a lot of information available of adulteration incidents for food (from organic products, honey, milk, meat, olive oil), I can't find anything  for packaging material. It looks like there is no history of their adulteration. Has anyone found something related to adulteration of packaging materials? 

EthelT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

I am likewise looking for data on this. We manufacture food-grade plastic films. The resins and polymers are specific in its function in the blend therefore I believe it cannot be adulterated or it will lose its functionality. The only thing I can think of is that if the resin or polymers are not food grade. I still have to research on this. If these materials are inert and will not interact with the food being packaged; and it is generally accepted as safe (FDA listing) or in this case has a food application approval, then it is acceptable. However this has nothing to do with fraud.

Altermanm

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

Try to look here:

https://trello.com/b...isk-information

There is a category for packaging materials there.

Hope it Helps 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:29 PM

Re-Post: "We're a food packaging manufacturer and we were just granted an exemption from the Food Fraud portion of the code by our AB. After a VA we determined there was no opportunity for fraud, composed an exemption request letter outlining the findings of the VA and expanding the explanation for each raw material and finished products. Our AB agreed and granted the exemption. Even though it is not a required element for food packaging, you still have to prove due process arriving at the determination. We also added an annual re-assessment or a re-assessment if our circumstances change that might increase our vulnerability." that being said, packaging manufacturers can certainly be affected by food fraud. If the companies you purchase your raw materials from originate and formulate the materials and they are securely sent to you (sealed containers or supplier owned equipment for instance) the risk of food fraud is all but eliminated. If, however, you use a distributor of a material you need to look at the entire chain of possession to determine if it could be diverted or diluted at any step. If it can, there is a food fraud risk. We purchase all materials from large, original manufacturers in sealed trailers and ship all product the same. Once it arrives at the customer it is out of our hands but that's not the end of the food fraud risk. We also do a search on Trello and search the internet monthly for similar packaging being sold by non-customers which might indicate counterfeit packaging.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

IIRC, IFS provide a specimen Food Fraud plan for 1/2 packaging materials. Previously attached on this Forum.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Pavan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

I was just referring to the post of Packaging material manufacturer and the applicability of Food fraud prevention, I hope all the Packaging material supplier specifically from Plastic field; if you refer EU 10/2011 GL we find the availability of Heavy metals arise from Master batch, now master batch manufacturer consumes pigments which are either organic or inorganic, if the quantity of this heavy metal increased from the defined limit mentioned in EU guidelines may be harmful if it migrates in the packed material. there are chances during mixing of granules+Master Batch this migration may be detected above the accepted limit. 

Hopper which carries RM in heating tunnel is attached with Magnet which can only detect Ferrous material, there are chances of non ferrous material get melted with the product. Being understood that the material purchased are of food grade may not be fulproof system to prove that the manufacturing output is also food grade. If the printing is done on film and container has the chances of getting retained % of Solvent which may migrate to the packed products.

Adultration in mixing of non food grade granules/ Masterbatch is possible.

nlesperance

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Ballet

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

Check out the RASFF Portal!

https://webgate.ec.e...vent=searchForm

They have an option to search for food contact materials, as well as fraud/adulteration as a category!

Thanked by 2 Members:

YPE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:16 PM

Hello all,

Currently implenting this, I am wondering about the analysis that can help to discover adulteration in packaging. 

I believe that if we do not know the molecule by which another one can be subtituted, it will be pretty difficult.

Any idea please? 

Thank you

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 03 March 2021 - 01:03 AM

Hello all,

Currently implenting this, I am wondering about the analysis that can help to discover adulteration in packaging. 

I believe that if we do not know the molecule by which another one can be subtituted, it will be pretty difficult.

Any idea please? 

Thank you

Accredited labs can do such analyses: naming materials, proportion of each one (by mass), morphological structures, etc. They likely know what to do after being asked for consultation.

Beside, you can take packaging supplier audits which include traceability tests to get knowledge of the packaging compositions. Of course, this may need an NDA.

Thanked by 1 Member:
YPE

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:35 AM

Hello all,

Any idea please? 

Thank you

Hi YPE,

There are some literature articles on yr query, eg capability of detection of recycled plastic.

I have also seen one general Literature review of fraudulent-type activities as related to Packaging.

However, assuming this is still IFS-related, maybe see examples in -

Attached File  IFS,FoodFraud-Guide_1805.pdf   3.18MB   209 downloads

IFS also published a quite interesting data review to follow up their Standard's requirements, eg -

Attached File  Vulnerable materials.PNG   70.89KB   4 downloads

Seems that "Packaging" was not regarded as significant enough to itemise.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:15 PM

The main area of product fraud that I come across in packaging is the deliberate substitution of FSC or PEFC  claimed wood or paper with non-FSC or non-PEFC sources. There is a major shortage of packaging paper at the moment and some buyers are being a little creative.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food fraud, packaging materials, product fraud mitigation plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users