Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

We have 4 batches  (all the same) of a product  to make that we will run in 2 separate blenders.  Can we labels these with 2 lot's# ( 2 batches run thru the same mixer) or do we have to have 4 separate lot #'s? 

QA-Tech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

Is there anything significant that happens between batches, such as sanitation procedures, inspection of parts, etc? Or do you add the next batch to a blender immediately after the 1st one? What is the run time for a single batch?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

All same lots of ingredients going into all 4 batches?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Spiceman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

Is there anything significant that happens between batches, such as sanitation procedures, inspection of parts, etc? Or do you add the next batch to a blender immediately after the 1st one? What is the run time for a single batch?

Nothing happens in between - we finish packing one load and dump the next.  The blender is just not big enough to hold both.  We are running 2 blenders at the same.

Spiceman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

All same lots of ingredients going into all 4 batches?

Not always - but they are being tracked on the batch sheets.  We were thinking 2 lots because of the 2 blenders . We are currently doing it as 4 lots - time consuming and $$ for testing on each lot.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:11 PM

To be clear, you are prepared to recall all 4 batches because of 1 lot of ingredient that may OR may not have gone in all of them?  If the answer is yes, then I don't see why you can't give them a lot # by piece of equipment...........just be sure that #1 vs #2 don't get mixed up in case of a foreign material issue

I know it's expensive, and you could probably make a "composite" sample of all 4 batches for analysis purposes and still give them each an individual lot #.......50 grams from each of the 4 batches to form a 200 gram composite sample......which is they way I would go if I were trying to save a bit of $$$$ and my results has been good consistently.

Either way, if there is an issue on product from anylisis you're going to have to pull it all regardless of how you end up coding them

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Spiceman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:35 PM

To be clear, you are prepared to recall all 4 batches because of 1 lot of ingredient that may OR may not have gone in all of them?  If the answer is yes, then I don't see why you can't give them a lot # by piece of equipment...........just be sure that #1 vs #2 don't get mixed up in case of a foreign material issue

I know it's expensive, and you could probably make a "composite" sample of all 4 batches for analysis purposes and still give them each an individual lot #.......50 grams from each of the 4 batches to form a 200 gram composite sample......which is they way I would go if I were trying to save a bit of $$$$ and my results has been good consistently.

Either way, if there is an issue on product from anylisis you're going to have to pull it all regardless of how you end up coding them

Great - thank you! I had not thought of it that way.

Edited by Tavish101, 08 November 2018 - 07:35 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users