Rozeken

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

we are trying to get certified by the BRC-IOP standard, categorie B.

In section 7.2.2 stands: 'Locker rooms shall be accessed without the need to enter production areas. Company issued protective clothing and personal clothing shall not be stored in the same locker or locker compartment'.

Is it really necessary to have a double locker for each working member of our company?
That would result in a great investment... :wacko:

Are ther any possibilities to avoid this requirement? :uhm:

Thanks for your help!
Anja (from Belgium)

johnwhittaker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:02 AM

I think you will need two lockers for everyone. Its the easiest way to ensure that personal clothing and laundered clothing remain segregated.
We are currently aiming for Category B certification, and have a laundered workwear system in place. As part of the contract the company we have used supply us with individual lockers for the workwear, personal clothing and belongings are stored in each member of staffs personal locker.

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:49 AM

Although we are a food company, we have single lockers for all staff that is seperated down the middle with a partition.

This seems to be suitable for BRC - Food standard!

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:03 AM

Again another food company and we have separate lockers ( and rooms :smarty: ) for outside and overall storage (we are not high risk). This is fine for the BRC food but I think that the minimum is a split locker.

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:21 AM

Hi Anja, :welcome:

Rather than having two lockers for each person I would try if possible to have a single split locker as Sam discussed - just personal preference. John talks about a 'laundered workwear system' which for category B suppliers is a requirement under 7.7.4 "Controlled laundering of clothing shall be carried out."

I don't know how you intend to manage this (in-house / outsource) however a common method is to rent the clothing from a professional laundry company who will collect the dirty overalls and bring clean ones at regular intervals. These companies can also supply or rent the lockers to you as part of the contract. I have attached an image of the 'perfect' single locker system that would be suitable to meet the requirements of the standard as well as the recommendations on good practice for lockers.

The only way around this is to provide employees with a daily change of clothing and then their dirty / soiled workwear could go straight in for laundering at the end of their shift. At then end of the day it's down to price and space but the requirement will need to be met.

Hopefully other members will tell us about their systems.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Rozeken

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the advice!
:thumbup:

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

Just one word of warning when using a contract laundry.

Read the contract very carefully. We are currently trying to get out of a contract, but all sorts of problems are cropping up. Such as not having a site contract but a contract per person. Where we have had new employees start and a set of overalls for them, the contract starts from then for that set, so while some contracts are coming up for renewal, anyone who has started in the last 6 months needs to run for another 6 months :wacko:

Confused yet?

Also the lockers they supply have not been up to the job, with doors falling off and locks seizing up, although they belong to the laundry apparently we are responsible for their up keep and will be charged a ridiculous rate to get them fixed/replaced.

Nadine.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:40 AM

Excellent advice Nadine :smarty:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

johnwhittaker

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:04 AM

Whilst were on the subject of laundered workwear i thought i might mention headgear. When it comes to head gear you have to be very careful. The contractors will happily sign you up even if the product they supply is not suitable for the job, but then your stuck with them on the contract. If you take my advice go for disposables.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:43 PM

If you take my advice go for disposables.

Without doubt John - disposable hairnets etc. are the cost effective option. I think about £20 for 1,000 last time I priced them. You can get different colours too.

Regards,
Simon

Claudia_QP

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Paraguay
    Paraguay
  • Interests:FSMS, QMS, Food technology

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

I have attached an image of the 'perfect' single locker system that would be suitable to meet the requirements of the standard as well as the recommendations on good practice for lockers

Could you please indicate where is this image available? Posted Image

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

Can somebody post the picture of the lockers needed. Also, My company is looking for a BRC consultant for Peru. If anyone knows a good one that works in south america. I will really appreciate that informaction. Thank you!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

The exact locker configuration would depend on your change policy.

If you have a daily change of workwear then this could work.

Each employee has a top horizontal  locker for clean unworn workwear.

And a vertical locker for personal clothing.

Then at the end of the shift dirty workwear is put in the wash.

Attached File  lockers.jpg   177.05KB   0 downloads

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hmmm... in the companies I work in we have a single locker system whereby the operators put their outdoor clothing and personal items in their locker in the cloakroom and then walk to the high risk changing area where they remove shoes, place them on the designated shoe rack,, put on head gear , cross the barrier, put on high risk footwear, wash hands then put on clean high risk coats which have been placed on racks at the entrance to the final hand washing area. 

Only one locker required.

Coats are not designated to each person . works well and is BRC ( Food Standard) approved.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

Hmmm... in the companies I work in we have a single locker system whereby the operators put their outdoor clothing and personal items in their locker in the cloakroom and then walk to the high risk changing area where they remove shoes, place them on the designated shoe rack,, put on head gear , cross the barrier, put on high risk footwear, wash hands then put on clean high risk coats which have been placed on racks at the entrance to the final hand washing area. 

Only one locker required.

Coats are not designated to each person . works well and is BRC ( Food Standard) approved.

This thread started out over 10 years ago....I'm guessing that the lockers needed have been since consolidated.   :cheezy:

-Setanta         

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:59 PM

This thread started out over 10 years ago....I'm guessing that the lockers needed have been since consolidated.   :cheezy:

OMG where's my life gone. :uhm:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

OMG where's my life gone. :uhm:

-Setanta         

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Oops! sorry!  It's much the same for me! 

-Setanta         

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users