• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hi everyone,

We would have our annual BRC Audit soon. I would appreciate if you help me with following questions.

- The scales calibrated by external company annually, besides that we have internal weekly verification schedule for our scales. Does Test Weight needs to have certificate of accuracy or calibration? (because I do not have any document of accuracy for Test weight, There are basic weights of 100g, 50g and 200g without any serial number)

Thanks,

Edited by Dwei, 13 November 2018 - 03:19 PM.

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 117 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:13 PM

Yes you would need a document to state that your test weights are accurate.  We ask our external company to also provide a certificate of accuracy for the test weights during our annual service.  This is the less costly route, otherwise you can send the whole test kit out and have your weights NIST calibrated, which is for sure more expensive and time consuming.  We are SQF Certified and the cert of accuracy has not been challenged.  

Edited by nwilson, 13 November 2018 - 04:13 PM.

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

I disagree, you are not using your weights to CALIBRATE, you're only using them as part of the verification. 

Weights and Measures Canada requires you to have your scales CERTIFIED AND CALIBRATED at least annually, and unless the scales gets hit or dropped, it should not need calibrated until next service call.

You are only making sure the scale is operating within it's acceptable parameters. Now, weights and measures Canada has a list of acceptable variances listed by size and I doubt that your weights are out anymore than 1 gram given the small weights you are using.

https://laws-lois.ju....R.C.,_c._1605/

Just make sure your program is crystal clear that the weekly verification weights are not certified so there isn't any confusion.

Edited by Scampi, 13 November 2018 - 04:40 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users