• Quick Navigation
Photo

Has anybody gone though TRACES Certification?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

dugaucher

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

Hi all,

I have this client asking about the Trade Control and Expert System (TRACES) certification as he carries live animals and sell them in the European Union (EU).

As you may know TRACES is the European Commission's multilingual online management tool for all sanitary requirements on intra-EU trade and importation of animals, semen and embryo, food, feed and plants: https://ec.europa.eu...imals/traces_en.

Questions:

1. Has anybody gone though this process?
  2. Is there a standard or requirements to get the certification?
  3.  Would you care sharing your experience?
  4. How long is the process?

Much appreciated :sleazy:

Dugaucher

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:13 PM

nope, I've always tried to steer really clear of the EU!  But I found a tool kit that may of some use to you

https://ec.europa.eu...-toolkit_en.pdf

https://ec.europa.eu.../animals/traces/join-traces_en

I hope your client is moving high value meat, otherwise I cannot see how this would be in their best interests, the EU is a very expensive proposition when selling from Canada

Bon Chance

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:05 AM

I've been through the TRACES registration process - albeit for the purpose of importing organic products rather than animals.

Nonetheless my understanding is that the system interface is broadly the same, but the specific authorisations differ.

Despite being located in the EU (at least for another few months yet ;) ) I have to say the process of getting set up and approved in the system seemed pretty confusing and opaque.

One of the problems we had was that some of the regulatory bodies didn't know what they were supposed to do within the system, so it gets to the point that we need the next part of the registration signed off by the FSA in the UK, and our local team have to use it so rarely that they aren't sure what they need to do...

Once it was clear to everyone what was supposed to happen it went relatively quickly, but getting to that stage was rather hard work.

The principle of the system is good; it should simplify some types of import, improve traceability and avoid the dreaded lost/delayed paperwork creating issues at customs. But getting to a point of sufficient familiarity to achieve this can be a bit of a headache, as the guidance docs aren't great. The Helpdesk service were also reasonably good (once they understood what we and/or the UK regulatory people didn't understand) so I'd definitely be suggesting to your client to contact them if they get stuck or confused.

dugaucher

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:20 PM

Thank you both.

@PHFruit
- What is the contact you used to reach them?
- Specifity on the requirements to use?

Thanks again

Dugaucher

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hi SFC,

The requirements to use question is probably one that I can't directly help on, as we've only gone into the organic bit - for that it is primarily interested in who your CB is and who your local regulator is, getting their approval etc. I suspect the process for animal import will be somewhat similar but would be reticent to speculate without direct first-hand experience.

To get assistance I used santé-traces(at)ec.Europa.eu - credit to them as always responded in a matter of hours.

dugaucher

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:48 PM

Great!

I will start with them.

Thanks again all!!! :happydance: