Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:53 PM

I am search of a temperature data logger procedure. Our SQF practitioner is on a LOA (leave of absence) and I am managing our SQF system in his absence. 

The area that will be monitored is our cooler. It provides temporary storage for incoming ingredients [all items are made to order and ingredients arrive on a just in time basis]. 

We currently have a temperature check (and temp limits) in our pre-operational and operational checks, but a customer has requested that we have ongoing monitoring. 

I'm just not sure where to start on the procedure writing and was hoping someone had a template.

The data loggers transmit data wirelessly and alarm when out of range (both audibly and in app/email format).

We currently are under the SQF scheme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 441 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:13 AM

Hi, LiaBryant1;

It would help if you mentioned your industry for specific regulatory guidance. I have attached an example of a HACCP plan I wrote for a seafood firm. The controls are compliant to FDA, but may not be for others.

I am assuming this is a CCP in your processing steps, so for SQF a hazard analysis and HACCP plan can fulfill requirements for procedural documents (work instructions, CAPA, etc.). 

From what you have provided I can't infer the type of monitoring system you have, so record keeping may be as easy as digital signatures for charts, or the more cumbersome method of docking and transfer of data.  

Attached File  HACCP Cold Storage.docx   14.12KB   103 downloads

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

I am search of a temperature data logger procedure. Our SQF practitioner is on a LOA (leave of absence) and I am managing our SQF system in his absence. 

The area that will be monitored is our cooler. It provides temporary storage for incoming ingredients [all items are made to order and ingredients arrive on a just in time basis]. 

We currently have a temperature check (and temp limits) in our pre-operational and operational checks, but a customer has requested that we have ongoing monitoring. 

I'm just not sure where to start on the procedure writing and was hoping someone had a template.

The data loggers transmit data wirelessly and alarm when out of range (both audibly and in app/email format).

We currently are under the SQF scheme.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Lia,

As intimated previous post, info is slightly unclear.

Re the customer's query - red ^, the dataloggers appear to be providing continuous monitoring already. Which would probably be normal Procedure.

Or perhaps they are not ?

Or is the problem something else ? eg are you querying whether continuous monitoring needs to be justified ?

Is there a "Procedure" already but which does not mention continuous monitoring ?

Please clarify a little.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

LiaBryant1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

So sorry for not clarifying better. Sometimes I don't know if I'm asking correctly.

Currently, our policy is that we monitor the cooler via temp checks at pre-op, then during operational checks. A specific client wants us to have continuous monitoring - no issue there since we are installing a data logger that is made for that exact purpose.

Now, I have to write a policy/procedure for the data logger itself. These are the headers I have so far:

Materials - what the approved construction of the unit is

Location - where the probes will be placed

Alarm State - what we will do if the alarm goes off

Exceptions to the alarm state - planned outages, etc.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I haven't addressed the temp records as the cooler temp is not a CCP. We process the ingredients from the cooler and then have a cook step after, which is our CCP

Thank you!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,492 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

Make sure your data logger comes with software to download the data. Then you can simply download once/week (or month or whatever suits) and keep it as electronic information. Then if there ever is a problem, you've got a record of ACTUAL data, not just the lack of an alarm

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hi Lia,

A basic instruction for writing a SOP for equipment is to state what it's purpose is and how this will be operationally achieved. Plus the traditional prelims and post lims as in model SOPs.

In addition to previous suggestions I (and presumably the customer) would logically expect that you must have some intended range of (maintained) temperature which will define any datalogger alarm settings and be matched by the resultant data.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users