• 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Cooking, Gardening, Reading, Watching movies

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

Hi,

I would like to know the specific storage condition of the following seeds.

Cumin seed

Fennel Seed

Organic Green pumpkin seed

Pumpkin seed roasted without shell

Store in a cool and dry place applicable to all of the above or does requires fully covered or airtight containers something like that. Does requires special storage conditions...

Lesley.Roberts

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 165 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

I would like to know the specific storage condition of the following seeds.

Cumin seed

Fennel Seed

Organic Green pumpkin seed

Pumpkin seed roasted without shell

Store in a cool and dry place applicable to all of the above or does requires fully covered or airtight containers something like that. Does requires special storage conditions...

Hi Sawad - from your previous posts I gather that you work for a bakery so are not the producer or supplier of the seeds?...

If this is the case I would advise that you contact your supplier for this information as they should have validated shelf life/storage conditions as this will relate to the processing conditions the seeds  have been subjected to by the supplier & also the oil content.  This information should be available on the supplier's specifications.

I think your supplier will probably advise that you should  keep the seeds covered in airtight containers as the presence of oxygen will promote oxidative rancidity more quickly once you have removed them from the packaging.

Some seeds have a very short shelf life indeed (especially where they have a high oil content) so it would also be a good idea to ask your supplier for seeds with 75% or 50% minimum shelf life on receipt (depending on your usage rate)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Cooking, Gardening, Reading, Watching movies

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:01 AM

Hi Sawad - from your previous posts I gather that you work for a bakery so are not the producer or supplier of the seeds?...

If this is the case I would advise that you contact your supplier for this information as they should have validated shelf life/storage conditions as this will relate to the processing conditions the seeds  have been subjected to by the supplier & also the oil content.  This information should be available on the supplier's specifications.

I think your supplier will probably advise that you should  keep the seeds covered in airtight containers as the presence of oxygen will promote oxidative rancidity more quickly once you have removed them from the packaging.

Some seeds have a very short shelf life indeed (especially where they have a high oil content) so it would also be a good idea to ask your supplier for seeds with 75% or 50% minimum shelf life on receipt (depending on your usage rate)

Thanks, I am working in Hypermarket (hot food, deli, bakery, fish, butchery, roastery, Fruits & veg etc...) , Bahrain. Dealing with all sorts of things, training, quality inspections, auditing, customer complaint handling etc... Recently got and an enquiry from the ministry about the storage and shelf life of these items....I searched online for clues regarding the shelf life & storage of seeds and spices...rather than what is written on the packet (cool & dry place).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users