Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

Apologies Yorky, I forgot you sent me on a PM. Got it now and you have 18 points. You will be included in the next update; hopefully a little higher.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

Could somebody (preferably not English or Scots) give me an unbiased assessment of the England team. I think they're rubbish, but that's because I'm English. :dunno:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

Simon,

My prediction showed England getting to the final and I'm second bottom of the table so I think that says it all. :doh:

Out of interest who did you predict to win the competition Franco?

James

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

Out of interest who did you predict to win the competition Franco?

Brazil :whistle:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

SWC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

Just for you SWC

Thanks for the primer, Simon.

But after watching a half-dozen matches I still don't understand offsides. It seems to discourage teams from attacking.

Guessed two scores correctly from today's matches - England's tie and the and the Paraguay-Trinidad result.

If a pretty poster and a cute saying are all it takes to motivate you, you probably have a very easy job. The kind robots will be doing soon.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Could somebody (preferably not English or Scots) give me an unbiased assessment of the England team. I think they're rubbish, but that's because I'm English. :dunno:

I'm not english, or scottish, and i think their rubbish. :whistle:
If i was being paid £100k per week (please god!) and didn't perform i'd have sacked by now. :(

Also they havn't won it for 40 years, so how can it be coming home???

Thank God channel 5 is putting some girlie chick flicks on! :beer:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:10 PM

I'm not english, or scottish, and i think their rubbish. :whistle:

Yes I think you'll find you are Welsh though.

Also they havn't won it for 40 years, so how can it be coming home???

You may be right but I don't have to like it. :(

Cheers Caz,
Simon

By the way here is the latest league table updated to include all group stage games.

As you can see Phil Brown takes over from Franco at the top, but several are poised to pounce. A couple of correct scores either way and it could all change.

Attached File  world_cup.gif   10.71KB   68 downloads

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:06 PM

England were well tedious, clumsy, devoid of ideas, weak in attack, dopey and yet mysteriously effective. Is Sven the shrewd tactitioner after all? :yeahrite:

BTW I'm talking about England 1 Equador 0

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:33 AM

Not much change at the top as the top four players scored more or less the same number of points since the previous update. The biggest mover is Feraz Ali who moved from mid table to join the chasing pack. It is close at the top but with only three games left can anyone catch Phil Brown?

Attached File  world_cup_table.gif   12.89KB   63 downloads

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

Dear Simon,
You queried Sven's possessing adequate tactical abilities. My opinion is that the answer is yes however the English players gradually corrected for this limitation.
I seem to remember there was some kind of 'fair play' award at previous World Cups. Seems to have disappeared this time around. Previously the African / Brazilian sides seemed to focus more on footballing skills and were essential watching because of it. Now they seem to have fully joined the league of 'professional' foulers, very sad and seemingly self-destructive. The phenomenon is not new of course but I believe I have never seen such a widespread exhibition of rear leg sweeps, thrusting to the ground, trailing arm face smash and other basic wrestling moves. I sympathise with the referees in this respect, the rules condone such features in the interest of spectacle so don't blame the inspector. American football, despite its fundamentally antisocial concepts has a more effective game structure IMO but then Europe rejects 3hr+ games and sporadic hotdog intermisssions.
Regards/ Charles.C

Edited by Charles.C, 02 July 2006 - 05:23 PM.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

You know Charles never did the England team have the potential like this year. I cannot remember a time when we had some many seemingly world class players in the squad; I'm incredulous at how we could have been so poor - it has to be the tactics and that was down to Sven. Many of the players will be in their prime in 2008, but they have no chance of winning in South Africa. No the once in a lifetime chance has passed them by. As hosts I know Germany are expected to perform, but I have been so impressed with them; I would like to see them win it. They say South American teams do not win in Europe and we have four European teams in the semi final; after a slow start France have been superb, Zidane is exquisite. I have enjoyed Italy, much more attack minded than usual, but for grit and energy I go for Germany. Portugal are pure rubbish - so what does that make us?

One thing on fouling how is it outside the penalty box it's almost a none contact sport yet in the box at corners and free kicks its like WWF. If I were a ref I would call a foul every time - I'm sure it would soon stop.

God I wish I hated football. :crybaby:

Regards,

Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

Dear Simon,
I'm not sure I would classify our superstars' repeated miskicks as tactical errors however I agree with your comments on Germany and Italy. I prefer Italy for their sheer style even though their temperament is liable to vary.
After reading the on-line newspaper ' that shiny thing in the sky' I realised the WAG factor (Wives and Girlfriends apparently) might yet be the joker card. Perhaps I'm being unfair but the English group reportedly spent all their time jetting, partying and shopping, haven't seen any comparable reports about the remaining teams. Silence is Golden ?
I still think the penalty shoot-out lottery is ludicrous. Ronaldo actually stopped half-way through his kick. Is that allowed ? There has to be a better way than this.

Rgds /Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

So where are the leaders in this competition - what scores have you got for the semi finals - are you bothered? :uhm:

After reading the on-line newspaper "that shiny thing in the sky" I realised the WAG factor (Wives and Girlfriends apparently) might yet be the joker card. Perhaps I'm being unfair but the English group reportedly spent all their time jetting, partying and shopping, haven't seen any comparable reports about the remaining teams. Silence is Golden ?

Yes you could be right Charles; I think it was an experiment that went sadly wrong. I would never sleep with the missus the night before an important audit - would you? :whistle:

Regards,

Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

Dear Simon,

Let's see a picture first, and not the one in the passport. :rolleyes:

Best Regards / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Franco Italy are in the World Cup Final!

How do you feel? :yikes:

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

I feel very excited :yay: and very angry :angry2: and sad :crybaby: at the same time.

At present I have no voice at all, after the goal of Del Piero I jumped, runned and shouted so loudly :thumbup:.

Maybe the final will be played by eight of current Juve players (Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Camoranesi and Del Piero for Italy) and maybe Vieira, Trezeguet and Thuram.
Zidane :o and Henry :o were our players too.

At the same time in Italy there is a the possibility that at the end of a "processo-farsa", as we call it in italian Juve will play in THIRD league (serie C) with no evidence, no witness, no way to defend the team and no reason at all except for the fact that the Juve team has been hated by millions of italians :yeahrite: and has been winning too much in the last ten years. This is not acceptable, it is the end of football, at least the end of my football :crybaby:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

Yes I was thinking of you last night; I can imagine the unbearable tension, excitement, relief and sheer joy when the 1st and then the 2ng goal went in the onion bag. I felt sorry for the Germans, it really could have gone either way.

Believe it or not I won't be wearing by beret tonight - oh no! I want Portugal to make it to the final and then I want to watch as the Italians slowly dismantle the Portguese hopes and hearts piece by piece by piece in the final. I want to see the tears of Ronaldo flow as Del Piero kisses the shimmering Jules Rimet.

It doesn't really bother me football. :helpplease:

Simon

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

Believe it or not I won't be wearing by beret tonight - oh no! I want Portugal to make it to the final and then I want to watch as the Italians slowly dismantle the Portguese hopes and hearts piece by piece by piece in the final. I want to see the tears of Ronaldo flow as Del Piero kisses the shimmering Jules Rimet.

:beer: :thumbup: :crybaby: :thumbup:

The German football song "Ohne Holland fahren wir nach Berlin" (Without Holland, we're going to Berlin) should be changed to "Ohne Italien fahren wir nach Berlin".

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

:lol2: Believe me or not next sunday I will be looking at the final France vs. Italy ... in Paris :lol2:

Funny, isn't it ?

In my luggage I'll take two T shirts: one for the blues (Allez le bleu !!!) and one for the spaghetti :lol2:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

:lol2: Believe me or not next sunday I will be looking at the final France vs. Italy ... in Paris :lol2:

Funny, isn't it ?

In my luggage I'll take two T shirts: one for the blues (Allez le bleu !!!) and one for the spaghetti :lol2:

A very strange situation. If Italy win on th inside you'll be :happydance: on the outside you'll be :headhurts: If France win on the inside you'll be :crybaby: and on the outside you'll be :gitane: :clap: :beer:

I think that's right anyway at least you have the opportunity to celebrate either way - enjoy yourself mate.

FWIW I'm rooting for Italy; they have been the best team and apart from the one elbow very fair...and for you of course. ;)

Regards,

Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

Franco I forget to say Simone Perrotta is from Ashton-under-Lyne in ENGLAND, so we are represented in the final. In fact he's been one of your best players. Ashton is a suburb of Manchester and is actually the next town to Oldham where I live. The folks there are going mad for Perrlotta - it shows how low English football has sunk.

http://football.guar...1813596,00.html

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:38 AM

The folks there are going mad for Perrotta - it shows how low English football has sunk.

:roflmao:

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

The folks there are going mad for Perrotta - it shows how low English football has sunk.

They sure are, they were interviewing his cousin and former teacher on the local BBC news and he had the inside page of the Manchester Evening paper the other night accompanied with wonderful pictures of him in Dukinfield leaning against a Morris Marina wearing a shirt collar that would have someones eye out ! Our plant is up the road from Ashton and everybody really is talking about him whilst forgetting he went to live in Italy when he was 6 .

He is a great player though and I hope the Azzuri beat Les cockerels on Sunday

venuto sull'Italia :thumbup:

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

They think it's all over...it is now!

I don't think we'll be seeing Franco for a few days. :drunk:

Congratulations to Italy on winning the 2006 World Cup, but more importantly congratulations to Phil Brown for winning the SDF World Cup Competition.

I will contact Phil to see which shirt he want's and hopefully we can get a photo of Phil wearing his new football shirt posted in due course.

Thanks and commiserations to all of you who took part and didn't win. Just like England. ;)

Regards,
Simon

Attached Files

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

A BOLTON WANDERERS AWAY KIT is on its way to Phil Brown - don't ask me. :dunno:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users