• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Good morning,

I made a hazard analysis for my company that manufactures plastics, can someone please take a look and see if this is ok?

Thank you!

Lindsay

Attached Files

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

Lindsay, 

I don't understand how there could be a biological hazard in your raw materials. If ink is the issue in that, wouldn't it be more of a chemical hazard? 

I'm going to assume that the ink is food safe as well, eliminating that hazard. Looking back to my own process hazard analysis, foreign material is a concern for receiving the raw materials, and moving raw materials/product and storage is more of a threat to biological hazard, yet foreign material is always on our radar. But as a plastics packaging manufacturer, we have no CCP's. 

Hope this helps. 

lindsaysheppard91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Lindsay, 

I don't understand how there could be a biological hazard in your raw materials. If ink is the issue in that, wouldn't it be more of a chemical hazard? 

I'm going to assume that the ink is food safe as well, eliminating that hazard. Looking back to my own process hazard analysis, foreign material is a concern for receiving the raw materials, and moving raw materials/product and storage is more of a threat to biological hazard, yet foreign material is always on our radar. But as a plastics packaging manufacturer, we have no CCP's. 

Hope this helps. 

An outside company made this for our company- I re-made it and made it fit onto one page. I honestly am not sure why there is biological hazard in our RM, that's what the consultant put down. Basically, the only hazard our company can have is if it comes from another company that doesn't follow strict supplier approval protocols. 

The ink we get is food safe. 

So if the ONLY threat we have in our company is coming from other suppliers- do I need to put that down on the hazard analysis? 

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:42 PM

Lindsay,

If you are SQF certified or trying to become certified, you will need to add it considering it is part of the SQF code. 

Just try and think of every step taken from being received to end product, and evaluate if a bio, chemical, or physical hazard is present. We are thermoforming, therefore physical hazard is across the entire board. The only way our raw material can be contaminated is, just like you, if it comes from the supplier. The supplier may have a foreign substance in the rolls we get or send us a non-FDA approved material for food, in which we would reject immediately. The storage of raw material includes a biological hazard, as well as the same foreign matter hazard. Transport from storage to production has a chance of biological hazard and physical contaminate. 

You get the step by step picture. The more in depth and thorough you are, the better off you'll be when it comes to audit time. 

I hope some more experienced people on these forums can either back me up or provide more insightful information on the matter. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

Good morning,

I made a hazard analysis for my company that manufactures plastics, can someone please take a look and see if this is ok?

Thank you!

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,

With all due respect, IMO, the document in OP is what I would call, politely, a pseudo-hazard analysis.

Seriously, without justification, how can there be zero potential hazards in every process step ?  Is the location in outer space ?

IMO there should be some reference to PRPs.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

lindsaysheppard91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

Hi Lindsay,

With all due respect, IMO the document in OP is what I would call, politely, a pseudo-hazard analysis.

Seriously, without justification, how can there be zero potential hazards in every process step ?  Is the location in outer space ?

IMO there should be some reference to PRPs.

Hi Charles,

I feel the same way. My company had an outside company come in before I was hired, to make that hazard analysis. I am updating and changing everything, but first wanted to have other peoples input to make sure I am not being too "uptight".

I am new to this industry, and was told that since we are a packaging manufacturer there are not CCPs. Am I able to put in each step that there is a potential food safety hazard with employees not washing there hands correctly, using PPE, etc?

Thank you :)

MrHillman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

Worked in plastics for many years. The possible issue in the raw materials would be lead in the polymers used to make the film, pouch ect. China was known for out of spec lead content in their plastic compounds.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Hi Charles,

I feel the same way. My company had an outside company come in before I was hired, to make that hazard analysis. I am updating and changing everything, but first wanted to have other peoples input to make sure I am not being too "uptight".

I am new to this industry, and was told that since we are a packaging manufacturer there are not CCPs. Am I able to put in each step that there is a potential food safety hazard with employees not washing there hands correctly, using PPE, etc?

Thank you :)

Hi Lindsay,

I deduce you are relatively new to haccp.

I suggest you have a look at some model haccp plans on this Packaging  website -

https://www.iopp.org...cfm?pageid=2267

These plans may be somewhat overkill in respect to SQF's precise requirements (I'm not a SQF user or in Packaging)  but IIRC they offer a reasonable idea as to how to structure a hazard analysis.

The basic format of a hazard analysis is fairly flexible but It will be necessary to compare the style/content of any models with any specific SQF requirements. Maybe have a look at some customized SQF packaging haccp plans on this Forum (if such exist which hopefully they do).

PS - the net result (depending on your process) may still be zero CCPs but the preceding risk assessment logic should make "sense".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sweet'n'low

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Worked in plastics for many years. The possible issue in the raw materials would be lead in the polymers used to make the film, pouch ect. China was known for out of spec lead content in their plastic compounds.

Not necessarily. I've seen black specks in my rolls that I've completed rejected raw material forms. Don't think that's lead, but I do understand your point. Sometimes rolls have too much anti-fog material, holes, scratches, and various other deformities, but those aren't biological hazards. 

lindsaysheppard91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Hi Lindsay,

I deduce you are relatively new to haccp.

I suggest you have a look at some model haccp plans on this Packaging  website -

https://www.iopp.org...cfm?pageid=2267

These plans may be somewhat overkill in respect to SQF's precise requirements (I'm not a SQF user or in Packaging)  but IIRC they offer a reasonable idea as to how to structure a hazard analysis.

The basic format of a hazard analysis is fairly flexible but It will be necessary to compare the style/content of any models with any specific SQF requirements. Maybe have a look at some customized SQF packaging haccp plans on this Forum (if such exist which hopefully they do).

PS - the net result (depending on your process) may still be zero CCPs but the preceding risk assessment logic should make "sense".

Hi Charles,

Yes, I am new to HACCP. I recently took a class to get certified, but there is still so much that I need to learn. Thank you for that link, I printed out all the information and will work on that. 

lindsaysheppard91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Lindsay,

If you are SQF certified or trying to become certified, you will need to add it considering it is part of the SQF code. 

Just try and think of every step taken from being received to end product, and evaluate if a bio, chemical, or physical hazard is present. We are thermoforming, therefore physical hazard is across the entire board. The only way our raw material can be contaminated is, just like you, if it comes from the supplier. The supplier may have a foreign substance in the rolls we get or send us a non-FDA approved material for food, in which we would reject immediately. The storage of raw material includes a biological hazard, as well as the same foreign matter hazard. Transport from storage to production has a chance of biological hazard and physical contaminate. 

You get the step by step picture. The more in depth and thorough you are, the better off you'll be when it comes to audit time. 

I hope some more experienced people on these forums can either back me up or provide more insightful information on the matter. 

We are not certified in anything yet, we are trying to get GMP certified in 2 months. I am going over all the current paperwork now that was made in the past and am updating everything. Thank you for all your help so far! 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users