Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Good afternoon, my name is Bud Cretors, co owner to C. Cretors & Co. where we invented the popcorn machine back in 1885 and have been in business continually ever since. My siblings and I are the 5th generation and we look forward to handing this off to our kids, the 6th Generation. We have added to our product line hot dog grills, pizza ovens and warmers and cotton candy machines to name a few. My job title is Quality Control and I am on track to documenting everything we do, even having to handle the food that we resell.

Which brings me to why I joined this fine group. I have learned that even though we do not manufacture, process or repackage food, we really don't have any critical control points to have to monitor yet I do need to provide the ability to trace of all the food products from farm to fork that we sell. I'm new to this type of documentation, but I am well seasoned in the automotive QS9000 documentation, hence this being my job to write up procedures. I will be turning to this group in hopes to learn new things and improve my policy writing skills, especially on the topic of food.

Thank you all for having me here, I hope to develop a great working relationship with everyone here.

regards,
-bud

Eryn

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:40 PM

Welcome to the IFSQN family! :)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ivan Ivanov

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Bulgaria
    Bulgaria

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

Hi Bud,

How I understood you produce machines for food. If i am right and in this case you are part from the supply chain :)

You as a producer of the machines should use HACCP. Really the HACCP is an instrument for risk assessment. Nobody can tell you that you shoud have or you shouldnt have CCP. Everything is depend on your exact and uniqe production and processes. Through to the deep hazard analysis on each step of your production and use the decisition tree you will see did you have or not CCP.

Its not obligatory to have CCPs. You can havent but everything should be justified.

And please remember that you cant do hazard analysis alone. One of the requirements is to have multidisciplinary HACCP team to ensure enough competency for any steps and procesess.

As an auditor many time i see when the HACCP are not done in good way. The HACCP is the base. If your base is not good after that by the network many other thing will be not good.

I wish you many success. :)

Best regards,

Ivan

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

:welcome:

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Welcome Bud - always wonder who invented the popcorn machine!  Way cool to have you here - welcome.

You may not manufacture or repack food, but since you distribute food your company thus falls under Storage and Distribution for Food.

You need a food safety plan.

This is great place to learn.

Welcome again.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

budcretors

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

Hi Bud,

How I understood you produce machines for food. If i am right and in this case you are part from the supply chain :)

You as a producer of the machines should use HACCP. Really the HACCP is an instrument for risk assessment. Nobody can tell you that you shoud have or you shouldnt have CCP. Everything is depend on your exact and uniqe production and processes. Through to the deep hazard analysis on each step of your production and use the decisition tree you will see did you have or not CCP.

Its not obligatory to have CCPs. You can havent but everything should be justified.

And please remember that you cant do hazard analysis alone. One of the requirements is to have multidisciplinary HACCP team to ensure enough competency for any steps and procesess.

As an auditor many time i see when the HACCP are not done in good way. The HACCP is the base. If your base is not good after that by the network many other thing will be not good.

I wish you many success. :)

Best regards,

Ivan

Yep, my equipment puts me right in the middle of the supply chain and we have done all that we can to ensure proper and safe food processing with the equipment, using food grade stainless steel (300 series) and design the equipment for ease of cleaning and sanitation.  We even meet UL sanitation requirements too.

I took a HACCP food safety training course and was told there that because my business doesn't process food we have no CCP's.  BUT, I do understand that my business is responsible for ensuring complete safe handling of that food.  With that in mind, I am in the process of writing up procedures and policies specific to the food that we handle here to ensure that the next time the board of health comes in they will be happy with what we say we are doing.

I am also in the process of getting a team together, one that involves the buyer, quality control, stock manager, plant manager and stock handlers to start out with.  If there are others, I'm open to suggestions too.

Thank you for your time.

budcretors

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Welcome Bud - always wonder who invented the popcorn machine!  Way cool to have you here - welcome.

You may not manufacture or repack food, but since you distribute food your company thus falls under Storage and Distribution for Food.

You need a food safety plan.

This is great place to learn.

Welcome again.

Thank you for having me, and other responses I get are "well, I guess they HAVE to come from somewhere".  I'm glad it's my family!

I am writing up policies and procedures and I do search the internet for ideas and suggestions.  Right now I am trying to write up an Approved Supplier policy for food specifically.  Not as easy to do but I am working my way through.  Any suggestions for content in the policy would be greatly appreciated.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users