• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is drinking in warehouse allowed if drinks are in a sealed container?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

dazaaa03

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

Hi 

We are currently a BRC standard warehouse and i banned all food and drinking from the warehouse full stop.

a bit about us 

we are a 3PL compnay and all our products we store are sealed in a box with in a box or packaging.

we never open products in the warehouse to split down. The only place where we split products down is if any rework is needed 

Health & Safety team have requested are we allowed to have drinks in the warehouse if they are in a sealed container if it is monitored and controlled 

my first reply was a straight no as it will be abused ETC 

what are peoples thoughts i am happy to allow this if correctly monitored but i have worries incase of an audit i will get a non conformance 

i can add to HACCP do policy if needed 

thoughts please 

Darren 

Ivan Ivanov

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Bulgaria
    Bulgaria

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Hi Daren,

This situation is really comlicated.

My opinion as an auditor is that you have rights to give official permition for drinking. You say that you will control but the main question is "how".

You should be sure that you can show the auditor that you really manage and control this. You should include this hazard in your HACCP of course. But other problem is that this is in connection and with food defence. You can think and to take bottles for water of the employees which are different from the this that you store and to identified them foe each emploee.  

But again you can have problems during the audit. Any auditor have some point of view and understanding and is possible to dont accept it.

But whatever you choose to do should be detailed justified.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Ivan

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

IMHO limit this to plain water is clear containers. Allowing anything else becomes a very slippery slope very quickly.

Alternativly, you could have a water fountain installed. It would just need included in the sanitation program to make sure it didn't become a source of contamination.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:30 AM

Our clients in the same industry were advised to use company issued water bottles with sippy tops or water coolers with disposal cone shaped cups.

The best solution was the water coolers but only with CONE shaped cups.  -- has never triggered an issue on an audit.

Buy the way - what is meant by "rework" in your facility?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Iwonaa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

I don't think it would be too complicated to allow drinking as far as you are sure you control it for 100%. Company issued water, special warehouse areas (e.g. Marked) where you can drink that water, stuff training, then refreshing trainings with signing off, HACCP modification. When you have proper tools for that it will work.

Wysłane z mojego WAS-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

Our clients in the same industry were advised to use company issued water bottles with sippy tops or water coolers with disposal cone shaped cups.

The best solution was the water coolers but only with CONE shaped cups.  -- has never triggered an issue on an audit.

Buy the way - what is meant by "rework" in your facility?

Water coolers are your best bet but make sure they are on your sanitation list - they DO collect mold unfortunately!

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

As a packaging manufacturer, we allow only water in clear (no labels) soft plastic bottles which must have a screw on lid that seals and will not leak or spill when laid on their side or inverted. They must only be placed on tables at work stations, never on machines or product. This allows employees to use bottled water from the grocery store or vending machine. it also leaves little room for interpretation. Never been questioned on it past "what is your water bottle policy". All additives for water that I know of have food products in them (Flavors, colors, sweeteners etc.) so cannot be allowed in production areas as a matter of GMP.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

The issue with screw on caps is saliva transfer to fingera that are used to open and close the bottle. Surprised that has been overlooked in past audits.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

Our evaluation and risk assessment shows the likelihood to be minimal to non-existent. That and the fact that screw on caps are likely the most widely accepted type of container allowed in production areas. I have seen many of the sippy type containers leak after only a few uses which creates multiple hazards.  Also understand that we a low risk, packaging manufacturer.

LachelleOMP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

We were required to have a designated drink station at our facility during our BRC audit.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users