Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:08 PM

I am looking for a list of "must have" books to start building our food safety library.

We are an SFSF certified chemical facility working on SQF certification for animal feed (Module 3) and ingredient/processing aide (Module 11).

We manufacture ammonium chloride and ammonium sulfate salts (ingredient/processing aide/) on one line, and lignosulfonate's (Animal feed binder) on another. From what I've been told, we are the first type of manufacturer of these products to pursue a GFSI certification. That being said, it is extremely difficult to find any similar examples or science based information in relation to "known hazards".

Since this is such uncharted territory, I want to get a decent food safety library started. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also, if there's any food safety people who's main ingredients are highly toxic, I'd really love to pick  your brain as to how you handle your approved supplier program.

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Hi Tgoss,

First off good luck!  I work at a facility that is SFSF certified but we work with dairy products, so nothing close to toxic so I can't help you out there.

Just curious, why are you pursuing the SQF certification? Is this just the FSC34 vs. the FSC36 accreditation safe feed safe food does? I've looked at other schemes and it seems like FAMI-QS or GMP+ would be the best bet for exports out of the US but domestically the SFSF has the most name recognition in the industry.

In regards to resources I would say that AFIA has the most complete hazard analysis for the feed industry on their website. I think you are going to have to look in the human food world and just through the literature; you may even need to work with your local extension program to see if they have any insight.

You may try looking into selenium, this is pretty toxic and commonly used as a feed additive. Medication could also be helpful but that is all controlled with sequencing/flushing which I don't think you have this problem with dedicated lines. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

I recommend to acquire HACCP - a Practical approach by Mortimore.

afaik, the No.1 bestseller

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tgoss

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Bmart. The choice to pursue SQF was made because that is who a customer had requested (not a feed customer). The decision was then made to upgrade our feed line to FSC34 (we have 36 currently) so that it too can be considered a GFSI certified product. They tried to get there with the help of a consultant, and the consultant finally suggested they hire my position back in Oct. of last year. Currently, our largest competitor has been dragging their feet in getting a GFSI cert (I can only assume they are running into the same issues I have been) so if we can beat them to the punch, we can get quite a bit of business. 

Charles, thank you for the suggestion, I will add it to the list!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users