• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do we need to contact customers when performing a mock recall?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

D3P50001

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:50 PM

Hello, 

Do we need to contact customers and retail stores while performing a mock recall? 

Thank You.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:06 PM

Hello,

Not for a mock

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 07 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

Absolutely NO.

I seem to remember a company doing a mock recall for the first time and in error they contacted a customer -- oh the problems that caused!

Just don't do it!

You pretend that you made contact instead.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 March 2019 - 04:03 PM

do not call anyone!

However, you should use this exercise to check that contacts are upto date and correct (phone, addy, name, etc.)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

Quite a nice "demo"  example here although lacks a "time" recording -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ort/#entry47832

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,407 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

do not call anyone!

However, you should use this exercise to check that contacts are upto date and correct (phone, addy, name, etc.)

How can you ensure the number and contact is up to date if you don't call?

You can just hang up when the correct person comes on the line.  :shades:

The whole purpose of a mock is to test the system. 

And, to ensure contact numbers are correct.

Marshall

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

I agree, if a communication about a mock recall is misunderstood by a customer, you could end up shutting down their production lines and you being charged a huge penalty.

However, you do need to test the ability to communicate with customers etc in a timely manner. The best way that I have found to do this is to contact the customer saying that you are updating your records and who is the the correct contact (and deputy) in the case of a recall.

Depending upon the method of communication you will have timed evidence of when you sent the message for review or presentation to an auditor.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

There's the internet, invoices etc to verify contact information without making a phone call...............or simply email your contacts and file those responses BUT DO NOT SAY RECALL in them at all..........

An auditor would surely see that this is yearly verification of the information you have for your recall plan

Edited by Scampi, 13 March 2019 - 01:19 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

However, you do need to test the ability to communicate with customers etc in a timely manner. The best way that I have found to do this is to contact the customer saying that you are updating your records and who is the the correct contact (and deputy) in the case of a recall.

Agree, and useful to do the same regularly with supplier contacts. Not a great start to the trace spending time trying to track down the right person.

DN_QAMGR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

I do validation of contact information during my mock recall. 

My subject is: Verifying Contact information for Mock Recall

I usually accompany my email asking my customer to verify that the email I have on file and number listed is correct. 

My auditor in the past, said I needed to prove that my contact information was correct, so annually I send out random emails asking my customer to respond. I have to clearly state this is only for verification purposes.

Good Luck.

DN

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

For some auditors it can be useful to have evidence that contact has been made with at least a couple of customers as part of the process - hopefully there are a few with whom you have a strong and positive relationship who'll be happy to help participate, and will understand that it is a mock exercise rather than panicking when they see the world "recall".

You can always return the favour by participating in their mocks as a supplier of a problem ingredient/product - we have a few customers who'll call up and ask if we'd mind sending a pretend notification to them in a few days time to initiate an exercise.

(Obviously such communications have "MOCK", "TEST EXERCISE ONLY" etc written all over them in enormous red font)

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

I just spoke to a certification body regarding this issue and they say customers need to be contacted. It causes me grief every year as my client doesn't want me to contact customers lest they misunderstand, I have translated the e mail into French so they have no excuse, and there are still a couple who don't reply!! All they have to do is acknowledge receipt of the e mail and verify the weight of product received, it's one product no big deal. You have to be able to demonstrate that you can contact the customer and get the stuff back if you need to. 

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

trubertq----which scheme please

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

I just spoke to a certification body regarding this issue and they say customers need to be contacted. It causes me grief every year as my client doesn't want me to contact customers lest they misunderstand, I have translated the e mail into French so they have no excuse, and there are still a couple who don't reply!! All they have to do is acknowledge receipt of the e mail and verify the weight of product received, it's one product no big deal. You have to be able to demonstrate that you can contact the customer and get the stuff back if you need to. 

Personally, I'd still follow some of the other posters above. At most, I reach out to the customer and ask for an emergency contact document for their facility. That way I know I have reached the right people, and I also get the document updated as well. It seems more and more people don't actually read, so I would not want to cause a fright with our customers. In all the years I've been with my company, we've only been asked to reply to someone's mock recall once. 

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

Well this is the nut I am trying to crack, I have been explicitly told by the certification body that customers need to be contacted and it will be a non conformance if they are not. So, I am wondering how the rest of you are getting away without contacting customers.

I will contact them by e mail and be pleased if 95% reply, I can name the 2 customers who won't. 

It's an Organic certification Scampi.

I've contacted the FSAI to get a definitive response because this causes so much hassle every year.

Edited by trubertq, 08 April 2019 - 03:17 PM.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

Well this is the nut I am trying to crack, I have been explicitly told by the certification body that customers need to be contacted and it will be a non conformance if they are not. So, I am wondering how the rest of you are getting away without contacting customers.

I will contact them by e mail and be pleased if 95% reply, I can name the 2 customers who won't. 

It's an Organic certification Scampi.

We have organic too. Is it ok to contact the customer and ask if they are the proper contact for emergencies/recalls - and ask them to send an updated document? I would think that should suffice since you are "contacting" them.

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

In reality that's about all that is on the  e mail, I don't put scenarios because I'd have people ringing the EU, I ask for a reply to e mail acknowledging receipt and confirming this is the correct person or providing me with the name of the correct person , and then to give some semblance of reality I ask that they confirm receipt and weight of their last delivery.

It's not the test that's the problem, it's the client getting the vapours about "bothering" customers with this "nonsense"

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

In reality that's about all that is on the  e mail, I don't put scenarios because I'd have people ringing the EU, I ask for a reply to e mail acknowledging receipt and confirming this is the correct person or providing me with the name of the correct person , and then to give some semblance of reality I ask that they confirm receipt and weight of their last delivery.

It's not the test that's the problem, it's the client getting the vapours about "bothering" customers with this "nonsense"

Well, the least they can do is help you with your mock recall, since most customers require you to be able to notify them in the event of a recall....

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Help? Help?? No, I am there to answer their every whim but under no circumstances am I allowed to request anything from them.....

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

Help? Help?? No, I am there to answer their every whim but under no circumstances am I allowed to request anything from them.....

I feel your pain. We go through that here too. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:14 PM

Wow, our organic CB asks us to perform a traceability exercise during the audit, but has never even asked us to provide contacts, nevermind to see if they are correct. IMHO this is out of scope for organic certification..........that is a quality standard, not a food safety one.....wow

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

I always phone the chosen customer for the recall and explain that an email will be sent to them requesting they can confirm that they can locate the item (s) and could quarantine if necessary. And the timescale. Some have gone to the trouble of returning photos with quarantine tape showing apparently attached to the box(es) for the purpose of the mock recall but may not actually be attached.

Having got the confirmation from the customer a report can be written and another email to the customer informing them that the test has been successful. We have had several auditors who favour this option. You can demonstrate traceability and that contacts are current.

It may be more difficult trying to explain it in foreign languages ensuring they understand it is a test of systems.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users