• Quick Navigation
Photo

What to do if supplier will not share HACCP information?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

malvathie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:05 AM

Hello,

We are building our approved supplier list and we are requesting to everyone the food safety certification, a raw material specification and a HACCP Program but one supplier answered he can not share the HACCP program. Due to this, what other information do I need to request them? 

Thank you, 

Malvathie

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:24 AM

Hi malvathie,

I used to have this issue with a few suppliers. I'd get the purchasing manager to give them a call and explain that we require certain documents for our supplier approval and failure to provide these could mean we'd have to source the product from an alternative supplier in order to maintain our own compliance. The added pressure from commercial was usually enough to do the trick.

What certification do you have and does the supplier have a certification? It may be the case that if you both have a GFSI scheme cert then regarding supplier approval and risk assesmnent you wouldn't explicitly need a copy of their HACCP if you have their certificate. Also, would a visit to their site and audit of their operation and standard including HACCP be feasible?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:25 AM

Some processors legitimately restrict access to HACCP information, and may do so during audits too, where they believe that parts of the process are confidential intellectual property.

As Zanorias noted, it may be possible to cover this point via the processor's certification if it is an appropriate standard - certainly all of the GSFI-benchmarked schemes would arguably sufficient independent verification of the HACCP system. Commercial pressure can sometimes help, but only if you're purchasing power is very significant ;)

You could try asking them if they can provide simplified details - some sites with complex and/or confidential processes will issue a simplified process flow etc that shows an outline of the process without giving any specific details away.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

Reminds me of the times I was asking a supplier for a HACCP flow/CCP table, then having to explain what a HACCP flow/CCP is - the supplier seemingly to have no knowledge of HACCP - so I'd send our flow as an example of what I'm referring to. Shortly after they'd return it - still our flow - but with their name on :huh:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 08 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

Dump them.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

miseenplace

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

there are certain documents I don't share electronically. I provide my SQF certificate and invite them to schedule a site visit if they wish to further review my documents in person. 

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:23 PM

One could ask for their product(s) flow diagram(s) showing the CCPs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:43 AM

Hello,

We are building our approved supplier list and we are requesting to everyone the food safety certification, a raw material specification and a HACCP Program but one supplier answered he can not share the HACCP program. Due to this, what other information do I need to request them? 

Thank you, 

Malvathie

What kind of raw material ?

eg IMEX Whole fresh fish can present some conceptual difficulties ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users