• 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:52 AM

Hi all,

Looking to get opinions on the best way to document staff training when it comes to new and updated procedures. For years our company has used a training matrix where every procedure is signed by the trainer and trainee with the version number written in. But when procedures are updated to new versions the only option on the matrix is either to cross out and replace version numbers and dates making the whole thing scruffy or starting a whole new sheet and having every procedure signed off again which seems a complete waste of time.

I'm toying with the idea of creating a table at the bottom of each procedure to have it signed off by the relevant trainees when it is published in a bid to make it a little tidier. Is this something that would be advised? (Master copy would be placed in the quality manual, copy for training purposes to be stored in the training folder).

Thanks in advance,

Andy

On the Ball, City

AurW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

Hi Andy, 

I always have the same issue about training, it is so hard to keep up-to-date with it!

I am not a big fan of using master wet signature SOP for anything else than being a master copy just because people tend to lose/damage them; but that's only my opinion, maybe it works for other but I cannot count the number of SOP lost by production operatives or Sales people!!

I've tried to stop paper trail for SOP training just because it's a bit of an hassle but I noticed that some auditors don't really like it, especially if you try to comply with multiple standards (BRC, ISO, FEMAS, etc.).

so I went back to having relevant people signing a form when a new version of SOP is issued. i do it gradually, not everyone in one go but so far I haven't found any auditors complaining about it. I do not have this record on my skill matrix but the signed form is kept with the master SOP.

sorry if this is not a great help...

Aurélie

bmart

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

I have a general form that employees must sign when an SOP gets updated. The significance of the update dictates whether training will be in a group setting or one-on-one. 

After employees sign off on being retrained I have an excel spreadsheet that I consider my training matrix. The hard copies are stored sequentially and the spreadsheet gets updated after training. The spreadsheet is a list of employees on the left broken up by department. The columns are for each the SOPs. Below the header there is a revision number and the cells below are conditionally formatted to be highlighted in red if the employee does not have training on the current revision. I also highlight the cells different colors per department based on the SOP training requirements they have. We have ~50 employees and ~50 SOPs and this seems to work well for keeping things in order.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: training, induction, procedures, new procedure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users