• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:30 PM

Hello

I am a Food Technologyst and I am in charge to develop a risk assessment for packaging item, in a canning industry.

I am trying to approach to this assessment but I am a bit confused about the template I could refer to.

I mean, I set a template for packaging risk assessment covering the following risks: allergen, foreign body, Microbiology, Chemical, Food Fraud.

Until now we simply ask our supplier to send us their document of compliance and migration analysis, but I believe this is not satisfactory.

Is there any template/example I can look at to elaborate my risk assessment?

Thanks a lot.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:40 AM

Hello

I am a Food Technologyst and I am in charge to develop a risk assessment for packaging item, in a canning industry.

I am trying to approach to this assessment but I am a bit confused about the template I could refer to.

I mean, I set a template for packaging risk assessment covering the following risks: allergen, foreign body, Microbiology, Chemical, Food Fraud.

Until now we simply ask our supplier to send us their document of compliance and migration analysis, but I believe this is not satisfactory.

Is there any template/example I can look at to elaborate my risk assessment?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Augusto,

I assume yr requirement is associated with a specific process.

I asssumed you meant a HACCP-type template.

I assumed yr primary object of interest was the Can.

Yr first step maybe should have been (in respect to item3 below) to ask yr supplier for a contractual Product Specification which you/Company should review/modify(?)/agree to. This should spell out the typical, principal, Legal/Safety/Quality factors.

From a HACCP POV, steps might be - 

(1) a reference process/flow to define the scope of yr investigation.

(2) a typical Product Specification for the Purchasing of relevant metal cans.

(3) a Program whereby the supplier of metal cans is categorised as an approved supplier.

(4) a typical haccp plan for the canned food of yr specific interest which should contain a hazard analysis for the packaging, ie metal cans, including storage/distribution.

There are many typical haccp/hazard analysis/risk assessment templates on this forum, eg for every attached haccp plan.

A common layout is either to split hazards as BCP or as BCPA. For example the excel sheet here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-7#entry50651

Just to illustrate, a few items i noticed in browsing -

Empty cans/ends
- could arrive with serious internal double seam or body plate defects which could result in leakage causing post-process contamination - could arrive with serious external double seam, body plate, lacquer/coating defects or damage which could result in leakage causing post-process contamination

9 CFR 318.301/381.301 – Containers and Closures:   
This section of the canning regulations requires that establishments ensure that empty
containers and container materials are clean and free of structural defects and damage
that may affect product or container integrity. Additionally, this section also specifies
visual and physical examinations of closure or container defects are to be made, and
that necessary corrective actions are to be performed when defects are found.  You
should verify that:

a.  the establishment has a statistical sampling plan for evaluating incoming
containers and rejection actions, if needed,

b.  the establishment is following its statistical sampling plan,

c.  the establishment is ensuring that empty containers, roll stock for
container forming, and lidding materials are clean and free from structural
defects prior to filling,

d.  the establishment’s empty container handling practices (e.g., conveying,
unscrambling, denesting, manual handling) are adequate to prevent
soiling and damage,

e.  the containers are free of damage after filling,

f.  the establishment is conducting container closure examinations,

g.  the containers and closures (after closure) are protected from damage
which could cause defects likely to affect the hermetic condition of the
container,

h.  corrective actions are taken in response to detection of improper
container closure or damage,

i.  the containers are marked with a permanent, legible, identifying code
mark per regulatory requirements, and

j.  the maximum time lapse between container closure and the initiation of
the thermal process is 2 hours or less, unless otherwise approved.

Attached File  receiving cans.PNG   354.81KB   5 downloads

Attached File  cn1 - metal-packaging-for-foodstuffs,ILSI.pdf   331.46KB   152 downloads

Attached File  cn2 - Metal food packaging design based on hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP) system in canned food safety.pdf   327.15KB   150 downloads

Attached File  cn3 - Food Packaging Potential Risks (not include cans).pdf   154.63KB   303 downloads

Attached File  cn4 - haccp plan Draft-SpiralWound Cans.pdf   463.23KB   170 downloads

https://www.foodsafe...safety-program/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users