• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Hi All,

i've been a member for a while and this site is always top of my list when trying to find information that is niche... not sure how I ever lived without it!

I have looked through areas which i can think of but cannot find any answers for the following:

I'm looking for potential for remote/freelance work that can suppliment a statutary maternity pay (i know this is an international forum and we are lucky in the UK to get anything)

I'm sure that i've heard from auditors that women have worked freelance reviewing things like audit reports from home so they have flexibility of when/how much work they do.

Does anyone know how i could enquire about the possibility of doing this sort of thing?

I have 10yrs practical food industry, L4 HACCP, a degree in food science etc...

Thanks in advance

P.S work dont know yet :whistle:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:12 PM

I would cold call or email the auditing companies in the UK and ask!  The only issue is that they may want a certified auditor to perform this function

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Do you want to work for an existing company or set up a small business of your own?
I know that a reasonable number of our smaller clients use external consultants often based quite a distance away for help with writing procedures, developing systems, HACCP development, assisting with supplier approval etc. I can think of at least one that has a small sole-trader business, working part-time due to family commitments that also preclude most travel / site based activities, and I'd hire them without a second thought if I had need of that type of service, so yes it definitely can be done and provide a very useful service.

If you didn't want to set up a business of your own, then I'd start by contacting some of the existing consultancies - probably want to target one or two rungs above the smallest "one man band" type operations, as they'd need to be big enough to consider hiring someone extra, even if only part-time. Explain your background, what you're looking for etc and see what they think - for them the big money is really going to be in site visits etc so freeing up their time to do a bit more of that could work well for them too.

Thanked by 1 Member:

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

This is what I do. I started by writing a Food Safety Manual and now have contracts with 5 small companies who haven't the resources to employ full time Technical/Quality managers or who have extra work that they haven't time to do.

For example I carry out Internal audits for the client for whom, I manage BRC, in that I keep them up to speed on what's pending etc.

I am an Interim Quality manager in a company who have a packing season of 16 weeks.

I manage HACCP and GMP for Pelagic fish processors who wouldn't have work for a full time QM.

All of this has been by word of mouth, and I don't travel ( yet) as my children are still young(ish) and Husband works away.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users