Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation

FDA New Food Labelling requirement.

Share this

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -


    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

Hello there,

I work for a prune processing company based in California. Currently, we are working on updating our packaging artwork for one of our customers in India.

The FDA has updated its food labeling requirement in 2016  (https://www.fda.gov/...ion/default.htm) and we are trying to figure out if  the product  manufactured in USA and going to India or any other countries require to comply with this new labeling requirement.  We have some of our customers who are requesting for updated  NFP but we are not sure if it's required for food being sold outside the united states. 


 Any insights would be highly appreciated.


Thank you.




    Grade - SIFSQN

  • IFSQN Senior
  • 444 posts
  • 210 thanks

  • United States
    United States
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Heel of the Boot
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:21 AM

Short answer... yes, you have to comply. If this is a market-ready commodity without the benefit of further packaging then it would fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA and all of it's myriad of regulations.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council


"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

The Food Scientist

    Grade - FIFSQN

  • IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks

  • United States
    United States
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:04 PM

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.


    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks

  • Canada
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Generally, you follow the labeling regulations of the country where you will be exporting /selling your products. If the same finished products are both sold to US and to other countries, then you may have to use different artworks for these products.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Jeffrey Ort

    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 14 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:30 PM

Short answer you will need to meet the regulatory requirement of the country that it will be sold in.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users