Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 May 2019 - 10:58 PM

Hi - I am looking for information on SSOPs for having the knives and utensils brought to work by chefs and cooks for their personal use while at work. I have seen many that do not do more than wipe them off before placing in the carry bag to take home, and then the next shift not cleaning and sanitizing first. Thanks

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 May 2019 - 04:44 AM

Hi Mike,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums.

Here is my SOP: The use of personal knives and utensils at work is not permitted.  ;)

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

Hi Mike,

Agree with Tony.

Though I wonder why the chefs and cooks are bringing their personal knives - do they not feel the knives provided are suitable? If its a case of the chefs not having appropriate tools available and so getting some new knives and utensils to keep on site that they'd agree to use, it may be easier way to tackle it.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,425 posts
  • 1503 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

As an amatuere cook at home I can see why chefs bring their own...................one good chefs knife starts at $200 each and the skies the limit after that.......................very much doubt the establishment is going to fork over piles of cash for EACH employee to get the knives they prefer

I love mine and wouldn't trade them for anything.................i get them professionally sharpened and I've had the same ones for 20+ years

However, it needs to be demanded that they are cleaned and sanitized PRIOR to use and BEFORE leaving......................put in a check sheet for each employee to sign off daily  easy peasy

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

what industry? is this restaurant/ food service? or industrial type like airline catering or manufacturing?

For restaurant/food service, they are more lenient on this set up. If in this industry, you may want to provide them with sanitizers or sanitizer soak bin accessible to them at all times where they can place their clean knives when not in use or a UV cabinets. But some won't even do this even  because... maybe risk of corrosion for their expensive knives. But really with this type of issue, everything still boils down to training and maybe a disciplinary action when you observe staff not following the rules.

I doubt these chefs in restaurants/food service are keen on documenting anything on forms - good luck with that.

But for airline catering/manufacturing this practice is a no-no as it violates a lot of food safety clauses and programs and will always be an issue with any audit.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

... and add to ATP swabbing schedule.

We had volume knives at the raw meat butchery facility I worked at, but we also:

A) Had an electric sharpener in-house and

B) Had them exchanged weekly with a local sharpening service that dealt with that type of thing.

Therefore, no need to bring in anything from home.

As an amatuere cook at home I can see why chefs bring their own...................one good chefs knife starts at $200 each and the skies the limit after that.......................very much doubt the establishment is going to fork over piles of cash for EACH employee to get the knives they prefer

I love mine and wouldn't trade them for anything.................i get them professionally sharpened and I've had the same ones for 20+ years

However, it needs to be demanded that they are cleaned and sanitized PRIOR to use and BEFORE leaving......................put in a check sheet for each employee to sign off daily  easy peasy

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,425 posts
  • 1503 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

Chefs are a finicky bunch Marshenko, and industry full of Divas..................they will not give up their knives

Butcher shop is not the same (should be I know, but isn't)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 681 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Are they allowed to ignore any of the other requirements of their employment there? If you make a "No outside personal knives allowed" rule, would they, as a condition of their employment, have to abide by that rule? Rip off that bandage and move on, once the rule is in place and enforced, they'll get used to it. Maybe give them a say in the new equipment or maybe provide a few choices. Owners / managers bear the responsibility to protect the patron's health do they not? Therefor, if they determine there is a food safety risk, they can't ignore if. It seems a new rule should definitely be on the horizon. It's either that or put a whole sanitation procedure in place which brings: The creation of a complete, concise process for sanitation, implementation, training, monitoring and testing to verify the procedure is effective and consistent. That sounds like a lot more ongoing, continuous work to me....

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users