• Quick Navigation
Photo

Validation and verification of cleaning & sanitation process (CIP)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

parmeshwar

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:14 AM

Please explain how to validation And verification ,of cleaning / sanitation process (CIP) in dairy industry?

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

Hi parmeshwar,

To validate the cleaning in my factory I do pre-production hygiene inspections which include 1.visual inspection of areas, surfaces and equipment, 2.ATP swabs using an on-site reader, and 3. various food contact and non-food contact environmental pathogen swabs. Results of all are documented and actioned as appropriate. Records of cleaning frequency and areas are also kept. My factory though is UK based and predominantly meat products. I'm not sure myself if there will be different requirements for dairy production and India's legal and any customer/scheme requirements you may have.

Agrumeambu

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Hi parmeshwar,

To validate the cleaning in my factory I do pre-production hygiene inspections which include 1.visual inspection of areas, surfaces and equipment, 2.ATP swabs using an on-site reader, and 3. various food contact and non-food contact environmental pathogen swabs. Results of all are documented and actioned as appropriate. Records of cleaning frequency and areas are also kept. My factory though is UK based and predominantly meat products. I'm not sure myself if there will be different requirements for dairy production and India's legal and any customer/scheme requirements you may have.

Hi Zanorias !

I know you are in the UK, but I had a question regarding your environmental pathogen swabs. Which ones are they ? Do you have to incubate them for x amount of hours ? I found a way to do it in my industry which requires me to incubate the swabs for 7 hours. Trying to see if there is a better alternative. :)

As for Parmeshwar,

It highly depends on the certification / regulations themselves. Here, in Canada, we do a visual pre-operational inspection, then we take an ATP swab. We have to take a minimum of one per week (We usually take 2 a day, but once a week was fine with our federal inspectors). Then, once a month, I take an environmental swab which I incubate for 7 hours on non-contact surfaces only. But that is what works for our factory. We don't do any cooking, so we don't have the same risks as your industry would. 

I used to work for an industry in the States where the preop inspection was concluded by the sanitation supervisor and he would take 2 swabs a night (Take in account there was a lot of equipment) and that was it. We wouldn't even check the results or if he actually did the check.

Hope it helps !

Edited by Agrumeambu, 13 May 2019 - 10:47 AM.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hi Zanorias !

I know you are in the UK, but I had a question regarding your environmental pathogen swabs. Which ones are they ? Do you have to incubate them for x amount of hours ? I found a way to do it in my industry which requires me to incubate the swabs for 7 hours. Trying to see if there is a better alternative. :)

Hi Julie,

I swab for:

ACC 30/48h

Presumptive Entero 37/24hr

Beta Glucu Pos E.coli

oagulase Pos Staph

Listeria ssp (species & enumeration)

TS-542 swabs are used for the above.

7 hour incubation sounds curious. Do these results provide enumeration and species identification? Or just TVC in general? 

I have an on-site mini incubator and swabs I use for Hygiena Listeria swabs but these require a 48hr incubation before a negative result can be confirmed.

In fear of steering away from the OP's query on dairy cleaning validation I think further communication on thisshould be in a separate topic, or feel free to message me if you have any queries about my swabbing methods in particular :smile:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Aliali

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:08 AM

in addition to the product and environmental testing, i would also check the chemical concentrations, temperature, flowrate and CIP time for each cycle to ensure the CIP parameters can be maintained throughout the whole cycle. The PH rinse water test is also a good indicative result to confirm all chemicals are rinsed off at the end of CIP. 

Amy Thest

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:57 AM

Hi! 

In our company, I used ATP swabs on food contact surfaces using the luminometer from 3M... 

Results are recorded.

Regards, 

Amythest

mahantesh.micro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 88 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety Standards, Specification developments, Procedures
    Other interests are- cricket and indoor games

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

Dear Parmeshwar,

Your validation should be such that it should include both chemical and micro biological tests. Which means you need to do swab test for your equipment surfaces, but in CIP system, you need to aseptically collect final rinse water and do total plate count and yeast and mould count techniques. And also the same rinse water should be subjected to residual test, means the final rinse water should be free from any residues of sanitzer which you are using for CIP.

All the above must be documented.

Regards

Mahantesh

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users