Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:58 PM

hello, can you please advise how to validate sieving process? should I on purpose add some foreign material and check if it will be left on the sieve? in my opinion it is like atr ofr art's sake - it is obvious that sieve is working

Anna

LDG_Honey

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 14 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

We use sieves and mesh filters in our processes. We validate their effectiveness by frequent inspections / cleaning of the sieves and inspection of the finished product (clarity vs cloudiness).

I wouldn't add matter into my product in the hopes it'll be retained by the sieve, that's really close to intentionally contaminating your product.

If you still want to validate the effectiveness of your sieves that way, maybe you could add the foreign matter during a cleaning process like a CIP or a rinsing step as long as your testing material is sterile, made of inert material, non porous, non soluble in the conditions of the process, can be detected or removed in a following step, etc. 

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

Hi Anna,

Is the sieving a new measure, or are you just needing to validate it now? I think customer complaints would be a good indicator of the effectiveness of the sieve.

ptom5020

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

Hello Anna, what's the product/ingredient going through the sieves? 

Anna Racławska

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

Thank you for advice. I think sieve inspection is rather verification activity - not validation. We perform sieve checking (integrity and remainings on it for every sieved product batch).

I think comleints and audits results can be used in validation process as HACCP system annual review.

We sieve powders - dry blending.

I meant sieving validation that is part of food safety plan that is FDA FSMA requirement - please fing the example.

Attached Files

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Yes, you run an experiment to see what percentage of foreign objects you run through the sieve are captured. You could run 100 (or more) metal objects of the correct sizes (the hazard size range) with some product and try to recover them out the other side with a magnet or metal detector. Or just count them, I suppose.

Additionally, you need to demonstrate that the sieve can hold up to the rigors of its job without breaking and introducing foreign objects into the product. I would use the manufacturer's specifications and the scholarly literature to show that the maximum load ever experienced by the sieve is much lower than its rated load.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:14 AM