Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:44 PM

As I have previously mentioned we are building a small room to dedicate to packaging 8oz packages for Amazon fulfillment. The owner has decided that there does not need to be a metal detector after the product has been packaged because after production prior to bulk packaging in a 40# box for warehouse storage it goes through a metal detector. However the bulk boxes will be dumped into a stainless steel hopper and delivery system into the bags.

My argument is there are still metal working parts the product is coming into contact with after it goes through the metal detector. Am I correct in the need for a metal detector and if so what ways can I convince him of the need for a metal detector on this new packaging line?

thank you!

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:04 PM

As I have previously mentioned we are building a small room to dedicate to packaging 8oz packages for Amazon fulfillment. The owner has decided that there does not need to be a metal detector after the product has been packaged because after production prior to bulk packaging in a 40# box for warehouse storage it goes through a metal detector. However the bulk boxes will be dumped into a stainless steel hopper and delivery system into the bags.

My argument is there are still metal working parts the product is coming into contact with after it goes through the metal detector. Am I correct in the need for a metal detector and if so what ways can I convince him of the need for a metal detector on this new packaging line?

thank you!

IMO: Agreed,

Inquire the owner how are you going to detect Metal shaving from the repackaging machine.

It should be considered as a separate processing line and should be handled as such, as the product ( my assumption based on what you wrote above) is exposed to all/many hazards again from its primary/bulk packaging.

Hope it helps.

Edited by FSQA, 23 May 2019 - 06:04 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

If the original package is opened while you are handling it, then it is exposed to the hazards while it is open. Do you have anyone HACCP certified? They should be able to recognize the hazards and make a new hazard analysis which would then show your boss to get a MD.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kerry785

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

larissa _ jackson: I am HACCP Certified. Good call on doing a hazard anaylsis. I will be able to make a new hazard anaylsis once all the pieces are together and in place once the room is built. I just managed to get my hands on documentation for the equipment for the room and the drawing schematics for the room but I am not positive how it is all going together. 

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

Dear Kerry,

Your risk assessment will give you an answer.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users