Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

Are there any resources out there that will give me free PCQI training? Some of the training sessions online are hundreds of dollars.

I know they have made an amendment to the FSMA definition of a PCQI with the addition of something along the lines of "PCQI training or years of experience" however I have only been in the Quality and Food Safety industry for two years now so I do need a formal training. Our inspector told me that my "experience" would not cut it. 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

Are there any resources out there that will give me free PCQI training? Some of the training sessions online are hundreds of dollars.

I know they have made an amendment to the FSMA definition of a PCQI with the addition of something along the lines of "PCQI training or years of experience" however I have only been in the Quality and Food Safety industry for two years now so I do need a formal training. Our inspector told me that my "experience" would not cut it. 

I don't know of any free ones. I doubt there is any.

You can download the manual here: https://www.ifsh.iit...2_Watermark.pdf

But you still need to take the course to get the certificate to be a PCQI.

There is this one that's online and slightly cheaper than the rest:

https://www.imepik.c...rsaAhE9EALw_wcB

Also this one is a little cheaper for a limited time:

https://food-industr...yQaAsLOEALw_wcB

Hope that helps :)

Edited by The Food Scientist, 28 May 2019 - 01:18 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

Sorry, don't know of any free training programs. Professional trainers like to get paid for working.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

lanetobar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

Search for Food Industry Consulting. My company is cheap and had me research for the best available price and this place had the cheapest I could find. They offer online training in a "virtual classroom" which was pretty neat but requires a webcam. Just make sure you study for the exam as you'd have to pay over again to even re-test. Also it cost an adittional $50 (kind of ridiculous after paying for a $600 class) for the actual certificate. Hope this helped :) good luck on your journey.

https://food-industry.ca/training.php

Edited by lanetobar, 31 May 2019 - 08:54 PM.

Hank Major

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 101 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:19 PM

I paid $899 for 2.5 days and felt it was a bargain. Plus I networked with the other participants.

Edited by Hank Major, 31 May 2019 - 10:19 PM.

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

My suggestion on this is don't skimp. The information provided by a good trainer is invaluable. i took mine through a company called Soterian Systems for $795, and was very happy with the training provided for that price. I also suggest in person classroom over online.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,789 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

I underwent training in the UK with several, very experienced trainees. The course content was embarrassingly simple (the US trying to present concepts the rest of the world has adopted for years in a stupid way) but the trainer said it had been mandated by the FDA. So in summary if that's true and the content is mandated, you're unlikely to find something that's going to be a significant bargain.

Drumstick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

Hi AHJ,

Have you checked the blended version of the course?I seem to remember it was usually cheaper.

I'm a PCQI lead instructor by the way; after taking the PCQI course for my company, I took a lead instructor one just as a matter of curiosity (I'm not advertising me, I think it wouldn't be a good idea to give a course in english, I'm not that fluid :closedeyes: ). About your experience being enough or not, I've always heard that a person is qualified through experience once the system you have implanted/managed successfully passes a preventive controls inspection... like:"ok, don't do the course; if we inspect you and the system is "ok", then it means you know enough to not do the course". Anyway, your system can be inadequate regardless you do the course once or ten times, so it's sorta "tricky". I would recommend you to take the course but not because it is a regulated requirement but to learn how to adapt your system to the new approach; spend some hundreds of dollars once now will avoid you headaches in the future...

As GMO said, I've heard several times (once from an expert in a Food safety matters podcast) that what the US is trying with this "new old approach" is to make US companies get rid of their old HACCP, covered in dust in a shelf, and being more proactive...In the end, the approach is the same but with different names, and in my opinion, less philosophy than the HACCP classic approach: "Does this risk needs a preventive control?why?". No decision tree, no categorization of risk, etc., just answering the question: "is this risk important?". Again, same goal but different names for various concepts.

I hope you find a cheap course soon. Regards.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users