• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to write the scope of certification?

Share this

Best Answer , 11 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

It's simply the products you would like to certify (INLCUDE) for your SQF Certification. This will appear on your certification. For example you're a dairy plant and want to certify milk, butter and cheese. you choose your category and the products that come under it. Also include your exclusions for example if you make ice cream but don't want to include it in your certification, you let the CB know in your application so they just ignore it when they audit you. Hope that helps!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

gomez89

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

Good Morning, 
   I need help or an example how to write the Scope of certification. I was looking up some ideas and I found one but I wanted to see if someone can possibly help me. I feel like Im still stuck in the same boat. 

Food Sector Category:26
Low Risk
Modules: 2,12 
Products: Meat Bread Fish Vegetable Hamburgers and Strawberry 
Storage 
Scope of certification: 26:storage of food Products.

This is an example I found but I would like for you to explain to me what's best for me to do: 

[Company Name] has committed resources to obtain and maintain certification to the most current GFSI benchmarked edition of the SQF Code. The SQF certification is to Food Sector Category [##], Level [#] and applies to [all manufacturing and storage operations] at this facility for all products [manufactured or stored] at this facility (see Finished Products Specification Register).

will.merrill

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

I work in a secondary packaging facility, but our solution was simple: At the XYZ facility in Hometown, USA, we make secondary paperboard packaging for the food and beverage industry."

The next paragraph in our Quality Manual lists exclusions; "Exclusion: Design and development of products and services, clause 8.3, is excluded from the scope of the QMS since that is a function of corporate support services."

Keep it simple.

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:46 PM   Best Answer

It's simply the products you would like to certify (INLCUDE) for your SQF Certification. This will appear on your certification. For example you're a dairy plant and want to certify milk, butter and cheese. you choose your category and the products that come under it. Also include your exclusions for example if you make ice cream but don't want to include it in your certification, you let the CB know in your application so they just ignore it when they audit you. Hope that helps!

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Hello, I would tell you not to worry, that´s the Cert Office paper work, and is being reveiwed several times, always you will have the final ok.

BRC has a guideline: "F033 Guideline for defining wording of scope".

Some short tips:

The scope should include a general outline of the process, the product types and the differentiation of characteristics such as packaging types, storage or shelf life characteristics.

1.     The Process

There should be a general outline of the main process, it does not require detail of every step but should provide enough detail so that the typical product characteristics can be understood.

It is suggested using appropriate words from the following (not an exhaustive list):

aseptic filling, baking, battering, blending, bottling, breading, brewing, canning, coating, cooking, conditioning, curing, cutting, dicing, distillation, drying, extrusion, fermentation, filtering, freeze drying, freezing, frying, grading, hot filling, irradiation, marinating, microfiltration, microwaving, milling, mixing, being packed in modified atmosphere, being packed in vacuum packing, packing, pasteurisation, pickling, portioning, refining, ripening, roasting, slaughtering, slicing, smoking, sorting, steaming, sterilisation, washing, waxing

Use of general terms such as ‘manufacture’, ‘production’, ‘preparation’, or ‘processing’ should be used with care but may be acceptable where the resultant products are clear.

Use of the words, for example:

Procurement, intake, receipt, storage, product design and development, handling, storage, dispatch, transport is not required since they are already included within the scope of the Standard and are assessed during the audit.

Use of words such as sales, marketing, trade, growing, distribution and delivery are  NOT permitted because these are outside the scope of the Standard.

EXAMPLES

X  ‘Processing of mango and mandarin’ = not acceptable as unclear as to what the ‘process’ is.

ü  Acceptable example = ‘Pasteurisation of mango slices and mandarins segments and aseptic filling into glass packaging’

ü  Acceptable example = ‘Sorting, grading and packing of mangoes and mandarins’

X  ‘Primary production of red and white wines from grape and base wine intake, malolactic fermentation, cold stabilization, blending, storage, filtration to final approved tanks. Secondary processing as carbonation, filling, capping, corking, labelling and packing of red, white and sparkling wines in glass bottles’ too much detail on sub processes

ü  Acceptable example = ‘fermentation, carbonation and filling into glass bottles of red and white wines’

best regards,

Leila

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users