• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do you properly notify your suppliers of recalled product?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:27 PM

Hi everyone!

So we have decided to recall a product. Now I do know the steps for that and what to send out the customers/distributors regarding that. But how and what exactly do I tell our suppliers? Is there a proper way? I do believe they need a separate letter telling them they have supplied us with adulterated product. Correct? Any help would be appreciated :) (This is soooooooooooo fun). 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

Can I ask how you know they supplied the adulterated product?

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

Federal agency tested the product and determined it has been adulterated. So we traced back to who supplied us with it.

Edited by The Food Scientist, 26 June 2019 - 05:23 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

I have not gone through this however I would think it depends on what route you would want to take. In my supplier approval I request for a product guarantee and a COA with every shipment. So obviously something went wrong and they would need to investigate. There is a lot of details that are missing, like do you get a COA, do you have product specs? What I would do is contact the supplier and tell them of the findings and they would have to pay back what has been lost, so damages and labor. If they refuse then sue. 

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

Depending on your relationship with your supplier (hopefully it is a good one), you and your procurement team (if you have one) should give them a quick call and notify them of the situation, but should definitely be followed up with written notification, preferably via fax, but certified letter may also be necessary.  They will likely need to be involved with your investigation and corrective actions submitted to regulatory body, and may also be on the hook for damages that your company has incurred as a result of the non-conformity.

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

I agree. If you are sure it was not contaminated at your site or else where in the chain, give the supplier a call and record a formal, documented complaint through your procedures. You local authority may give you guidance too. Depending on the severity they may want to take legal action in their own right.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users