• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the items that should be included in the Glass and Brittle plastic checklist.

We have a mechanical room that is Physically separated from the Processing area by a wall. There are many gauges and display screens as part of equipment such as compressor and Boiler. 

The existing checklist includes these items that are part of mechanical room. it also includes items from Lunch room and washrooms. 

however, As per my risk assessment, these items can be removed from the checklist as they are not part of processing areas. and when a breakage of these items occur, the chance of contamination of product is none.

Please provide any feedback on this assessment. 

Regards

Bhargav 

freshandsafe

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

Hi Bhargav,

You could also decrease the frequency of checking that area.

Any risk that broken glass could be tracked from that area into the production areas on people's feet?

-Josh Heinrichs

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the items that should be included in the Glass and Brittle plastic checklist.

We have a mechanical room that is Physically separated from the Processing area by a wall. There are many gauges and display screens as part of equipment such as compressor and Boiler. 

The existing checklist includes these items that are part of mechanical room. it also includes items from Lunch room and washrooms. 

however, As per my risk assessment, these items can be removed from the checklist as they are not part of processing areas. and when a breakage of these items occur, the chance of contamination of product is none.

Regards

Bhargav 

Edited by Charles.C, 11 July 2019 - 08:22 PM.
link deleted

- Joshua Heinrichs

CBMQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

Curious on this topic as well.

We currently only include items (brittle plastic, glass, ceramic and rubber) on our checklist that are found in GMP compliant zones. We have also included items in immediate entry areas to GMP compliant zones as we felt there could be a risk of contamination. Service areas outside of the building and other non-GMP compliant areas we have left off the checklist for the time being as these form part of general maintenance building work orders as the risk of direct contamination is none and indirect contamination would be extremely low.

Trying not to over complicate the already complicated and extensive checks and balances we all must have in place to safeguard products.

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:48 PM

I recommend thinking in terms of zones. You can decrease inspection frequency the further from the processing area you get, but it doesn’t hurt to include everything on a registrar.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:19 AM

I find that moat of our clients include everything in the building, regardless od location but they vary the frequency of inspections the more distant each area or zone is located away from processing.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Watanka

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 109 posts
  • 50 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:11 PM

We include everything in the operations portion of the facility.  We leave out the front office accountant's, sales and so on from the register.  So far no problems with auditors.

Thanked by 1 Member:

john.kukoly

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 56 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

This is one of those areas that over auditing may have done a disservice to the original intent. If you think about it, the checklist idea for brittle materials is a classic closing of the barn door after the horse ran away. Best in class systems think a little differently about it - prevention first. Continually chasing NC's to add more and more is far less effective than removing the risk managing it, and staff awareness.

Having a thought process like this:

1. identify brittle materials that post a risk to the product

2. remove wherever possible, protect where not

3. put practices and training in place to mitigate potential risk by damage or use

If the inspection ever turns up damage or breakage - the impulse to write a work order and replace the materials should be replace with a re-assessment of steps 2 and 3.

The boiler room example above is a good one: if the amount of time between checks is extended - what happens when you find something - assume everything since the last check is at risk? Potentially better to restrict traffic from boiler room to processing, and get staff in the boiler room upskilled to continually  monitor for signs of damage, and she inspection, as they are in a glass area prior to going to common or open product areas.

I remember a sign off audit at a facility whose glass register had gone over 30 pages - and took one employee 3 days a month to complete. Everything including coffee pots in the front office made it onto the list. Hard to imagine how this activity, and staff investment made the product much safer.

By all means create the check list - move some onto pre-operational checklists to get them done frequently where necessary, and by the operators themselves. Glass checklists should be managed - one of those things where too much is not better than too little, in my opinion.

John

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfeyen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

I do not include areas that are not part of warehousing or production. I do identify every knob, guage  and items that can randomly break as part of a daily preoperational check. bathrooms, break rooms and offices I have identified as very low risk for glass breakage because we have never had a breakage in these area. I used the history of the plant to validate my claim.

I have never had an auditor question my glass and brittle plastics program in regards to our maintenence shop. If it is segragated from the production area is is not a major concern... whith that said, the auditor looks for cleanliness in all our non production areas and looks for documents that out line how we control contaminates when items such as tools and parts go from the shop out into the production areas.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

Hello Everyone,

Regards

Bhargav 

It comes down to risk assessment.

Risk = likelihood x Severity

If you are really, really, confident that L = 0 then "Risk" =  0 >> remove from list. And perhaps be prepare to be challenged by Auditor.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AlgaeProtein

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback. 

I followed your suggestion of adjusting the frequency based on the risk.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glass and Brittle plastic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users