Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation
- - - - -

Packaging Requirements of Overwrap Film

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic


    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

Hello All, 

We package RTE shrimp, RTE deviled crabs, value added fried fish products, and fresh seafood and vegetable meals. 


My colleague was looking at new overwrap machines and took away some questions concerning the overwrap film that is used.


We are wondering:

Is there a requirement on thickness?

Is there a requirement of OTR 10k?

Is there any other requirements?

Are there specific FDA regulations I am not finding?


We are new to this particular item and are hoping for more information


Thank you!


    Grade - MIFSQN

  • IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 91 thanks

  • Canada
  • Gender:Female

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:31 PM

I am no expert on this topic, but just giving you a general idea of what we usually look for our film suppliers.


So the questions is what material is the film wrap? I am assuming this is a food contact over wrap film for the products you are producing.


I usually encounter polyethylene and polypropylene type of films used as direct food contact. There is a test that they conduct for these type of films, something that sounds like solvent extraction test to withstand various applications.


Is the film wrap printed or just plain? If printed, then you have to also look into the ink used for the printing process, although ink is not considered by FDA  as indirect food additive.


Is this a flow wrap or shrink wrap? again different material is used for shrink or flow wrap application.


The gauge is dependent on your application and the machine you will use to wrap the products, as this will affect the cutting/ sealing / temperature of machine etc.


Here is the CFR for polymers so you can read (if you can understand, this is too technical for me)




Ultimately, your machine or film supplier will be expert on these compliances but it doesn't hurt to understand the required so you can verify.


Hopefully an expert here in the forum can both enlighten us on this.

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney


    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for the information.


I am researching to see what material the wrap is. We use wrap for two applications. A stretch wrap for our tray program. Also a top seal for our meal program. 


The film is plain with no printing so that is not a worry.


Our supplier seems to base his decisions off of what is being ordered, not as an expert. Which has been extremely frustrating. 


    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks

  • United States
    United States

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

I am a packaging company and these are the requirements of my customers...All resins I get must come with COAs and be FDA approved for food contact. All my resin suppliers must have a certificate of some sort showing they are 3rd party audited with a company that is recognized by what ever scheme you fall under. All my resins are virgin prime resins so it helps deter any adulteration issues. I must send all SDSs to my customers so they can verify that the resins are what I say they are and I must sign a letter of guarantee that no adulteration or misbranding on my part has taken place.

Berton lee

    Grade - Active

  • IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 5 thanks

  • China
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:36 AM

I am a packaging test company ,manufacturer of WVTR &OTR,


1. Is there a requirement on thickness?


Yes, the thickness is realted to OTR, tensile tester, dart tester,etc. apparently, it's necessary.


2. Is there a requirement of OTR 10k?


I guess you can see this link:https://frontierpack...ygen-permeable/


3.Is there any other requirements?


For food company, we mostly suggest Gas Chromatography test , and migration test, this is based on the regulation of industry .


Hope this helpful for you.


Best regards


Berton Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users