• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I have searched this topic but have found conflicting results.

I wanted to verify if I am including the right information on the footer of the documents I have created.

Currently we have the following:

- Section #

- Page #

- Issue date:

- Revision #:

- Prepared by:

- Approved by:

Not sure if I need to omit or add things to the footer.

I am also wondering if the footer has to be present on records as well, for example: temperature, cleaning and sanitation.... records that are filled out by personnel.

Thank you!

Jenna

Edited by jperri, 17 July 2019 - 01:35 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

Hello everyone,

I wanted to verify if I am including the right information on the footer of the documents I have created.

- Section #

- Page #

- Issue date:

- Revision #:

- Prepared by:

- Approved by:

I am also wondering if the footer has to be present on records as well, for example: temperature, cleaning and sanitation.... records that are filled out by personnel.

Thank you!

Jenna

Hi Jenna,

I think you will find that no GFSI-recognized FS Standard specifies a particular format.

The typical, minimum, requirement is to include any Code-specified, document "characteristics".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hello everyone,

- Section #

- Page #

- Issue date:

- Revision #:

- Prepared by:

- Approved by:

Thank you!

Jenna

That's more than enough! And yes you may add them on records. Just like Charles said, there is no required format for any GFSI scheme. I think it just makes navigation between documents a lot easier for you, your employees and auditor. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jperri

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for your responses! :spoton:

I appreciate it, I thought there was a certain requirement. 

erin.m.v

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:17 PM

Hi Jenna,

I highly recommend not including so much information in your header/footer format. I found maintaining all of that information to be too time consuming and clunky. Also, you may have some documents/forms that apply to more than one section, which makes including the section names messier.

We use document/form title, version number, effective date, and page count.

Another thing to consider is that having more information included in the header/footer opens you up to the possibility of there being more discrepancies between the information on your documents/forms and your document register. Minimizing the information contained in the header/footer also minimizes the possibility of document register-related audit non-conformances, which are my least favorite type!

Best of luck to you and your team!

Sincerely,

Erin

Thanked by 1 Member:

jperri

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

Hi Jenna,

I highly recommend not including so much information in your header/footer format. I found maintaining all of that information to be too time consuming and clunky. Also, you may have some documents/forms that apply to more than one section, which makes including the section names messier.

Another thing to consider is that having more information included in the header/footer opens you up to the possibility of there being more discrepancies between the information on your documents/forms and your document register. Minimizing the information contained in the header/footer also minimizes the possibility of document register-related audit non-conformances, which are my least favorite type!

Sincerely,

Erin

Hi Erin,

Thanks for the feedback!!

I just edited my footer now, it looks a lot cleaner and I only included (what I found to be) the most important or useful information for tracking and organizing the records.

I only included that much information originally because (for some reason) I thought that was part of the code.

Jenna

erin.m.v

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

Hi Erin,

Thanks for the feedback!!

I just edited my footer now, it looks a lot cleaner and I only included (what I found to be) the most important or useful information for tracking and organizing the records.

I only included that much information originally because (for some reason) I thought that was part of the code.

Jenna

I completely understand. I went through the same process. :-)

Chris347

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:44 PM

Hi Jenna,

Sincerely,

Erin

Hi Erin, 

You bring up a very good point. Most of what is included in our header documents is from what our customer audits have suggested not SQF. Our documents just have a title, code number (that relates to the SQF code), revision date, created date, and page number. 

I have been toying around with getting rid of the created date just because I think some auditors get confused since we have documents that were created from 2016. Otherwise I would just change the created date to whenever there is a new SQF edition. That is why I have been thinking of just getting rid of a created date and leaving just the revision date. 

Wanted to see what your thoughts were on this. 

Thank you, 

Chris 

erin.m.v

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 77 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:24 PM

Hi Chris,

I agree that the created date is unnecessary. And the one time you slip and accidentally update the created date instead of the revision date, an auditor will catch the discrepancy. :-)

I would also think about removing the code number that relates to the SQF Code. We had that in the beginning, but as soon as there was a significant change to the Code and that information changed, it became a real pain to maintain. It is tedious and time-consuming to update. And it is not the best way of labeling things since some docs/forms apply to more than one part of the Code. Unless you are listing each one and if that's the case, I would just move that information into a cheat sheet that shows the doc/form title and then lists all of the parts of the Code it applies to. I have a list like that for each module and find it is super helpful during audits.

Best of luck,

Erin

johnmcip

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 16 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 September 2021 - 10:21 PM

My document template includes the following information. If you want minimal, you might be able to get away with just title, ID, and version.

• Title - friendly document name
  • Section number - I'm thinking of either phasing it out or creating my own numbering system.
  • Document name - actually the file name which automatically update.
  • Document ID - Identifier for the document. I believe this would be the only thing absolutely required, except for the version number.
  • Page number - automatically updates. Excluded if on one page forms
  • Version number - active revision number
  • Approved by - whoever signed off on it, which is basically me.
  • Approval date/effective date - The date that this version was put into circulation.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users