• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does our FSSC 22000:2005 internal audit qualify as a GAP analysis?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Pepperfire

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

Slightly pedantic question perhaps, but...

We have a banker requesting a GAP analysis.

Does our FSSC 22000:2005 internal audit qualify as a GAP analysis or do I need something else.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,830 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

Normally a gap analysis is conducted when you are implementing or updating you food safety management system? Are you already certificated to FSSC 22000?  If so send a certificate.  Unless the banker is ask about a gap analysis of a different kind.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,660 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Interesting request. 

An internal audit is normally only technically conducted like a gap analysis - Sounds more like the banker is looking for issues to pop up - I'd ask for a clarifier.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Pepperfire

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the commentaries.

We are a (now) 10 man operation, we started implementing 22000 in 2015 when we were just 4. We didn't actually do a "GAP Analyis" in my opinion, we simply started by taking the Standard and began by performing an internal Audit, twice a year, with a certified auditor reviewing my work, once per year. The first was in 2015. We have not as yet fully passed the standard for certification, as we are lacking the "policy manuals" and automatic door closers. But we are close. We completed implementing all of the standards which expressly apply to food safety and GMPs first and have been implementing the rest as affordable. Our new FSSC standardized freezer gets plugged in on Tuesday. This is a very expensive endeavour for a tiny company like ours.

We do have our latest audit report from last Fall from the auditor that shows how close we are and what our policies are. Do you think, would THAT suffice for what they are looking for?

I assume they are asking for the GAP between their standard which they keep calling "HACCP" and FSSC without any specification as to the standard they actually want, nor comprehension that FSSC is the gold standard.

ALSO, WTH are these guys REALLY ASKING for when they ask my clients if they are HACCP certified - As if any Mom and Pop operation making less than $2,000,000 a year had any clue that these regulations even exist before January of this year.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the commentaries.

We are a (now) 10 man operation, we started implementing 22000 in 2015 when we were just 4. We didn't actually do a "GAP Analyis" in my opinion, we simply started by taking the Standard and began by performing an internal Audit, twice a year, with a certified auditor reviewing my work, once per year. The first was in 2015. We have not as yet fully passed the standard for certification, as we are lacking the "policy manuals" and automatic door closers. But we are close. We completed implementing all of the standards which expressly apply to food safety and GMPs first and have been implementing the rest as affordable. Our new FSSC standardized freezer gets plugged in on Tuesday. This is a very expensive endeavour for a tiny company like ours.

We do have our latest audit report from last Fall from the auditor that shows how close we are and what our policies are. Do you think, would THAT suffice for what they are looking for?

I assume they are asking for the GAP between their standard which they keep calling "HACCP" and FSSC without any specification as to the standard they actually want, nor comprehension that FSSC is the gold standard.

ALSO, WTH are these guys REALLY ASKING for when they ask my clients if they are HACCP certified - As if any Mom and Pop operation making less than $2,000,000 a year had any clue that these regulations even exist before January of this year.

Hi Pepperfire,

The comments below may also relate to the (unknown) Product/Process.

With all due respect, I think you may be significantly confused over the conceptual/technical basis of FSSC22000. (not an easy choice for starters IMO)

It sounds like you lack a permanent  team member who is familiar with GFSI-based Food safety Systems, and notably in respect to iso22000, iso22002-1, and Haccp ?.

Such a resource lack IMO is likely to be a  Critical deficiency.

If above is correct but unavoidable, I think you are going to need a ("substitute") Consultant if such is admissible within FSSC22000 requirements.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:36 AM

Hi PF,

It may have been an acronym, ie. Good Agricultural Practices.

Edited by FoodSafetyPlanet, 20 July 2019 - 05:51 AM.

Pepperfire

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Thank you for your comments Charles.it was my team member who suggested the question.

Pepperfire

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:28 PM

Hi PF,

It may have been an acronym, ie. Good Agricultural Practices.

I hadn't heard that one.

We don't grow anything so it doesn't quite apply except for our supplier standards.

Pepperfire

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

For anyone else looking for the answer to my question, I found this...

I have my answer.

https://www.qualityd...assessment.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users