• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

HI all,

We are looking to get rid of drinks/food in what will be the hygiene area, as we prepare for BRC, but the management don't want water stations on the shop floor as they worry operators will use as an excuse to regularly leave workstations. They are talking about using company issued water bottles with employee names on them which must be cleaned and refilled on site. I'm not sure about this idea, as I think it will be difficult to police, but I can understand their concerns.

I'm looking to find out if anyone has experience with this and could recommend a water bottle type which:

- prevents touching of the mouth piece with hands i.e. I don't want them taking a drink, touching to close and then touching the product

- is clear to ensure only water is drunk in hygiene area

- is spill-proof

Has anyone got any suggestions regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Why not just have a water station away from the shop floor (hygiene area) ? Instead of worrying about how they drink the water using their bottles in the hygiene area? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

BRC suggests that using containers "may be" allowed, but expects that the containers are not only spill proof, but also minimise risk to products and are confined to a designated area.

Nonetheless, this type of bottle lid means that it is opened/closed without any necessity to touch the drinking part: https://www.dhgate.c.../410823851.html.

I'm familiar with this style as we were given branded ones by our employer a few months ago as a "green" initiative, and I had to immediately ban them from the factory :happydance:

If you need it to be clear then it necessitates plastic, so you'll have to think about physical contaminant risk - you may be able to find bottles made of more flexible plastics, and in colours that suitably contrast with your products, but the cap/closure is probably necessarily a more rigid and brittle plastic, so risk assessment consideration will be required.

The interpretation guide does seem to still expect these to be filled from a "purpose-made dispenser" though, so it will still provide those pesky staff with a reason to be away from their workstations, dillydallying on company time, sharing gossip etc - perhaps if you emphasise this point the management will reconsider the water stations idea?

If they won't go for it then you've still got the challenge of defining, and justifying, the designated area in which they're permitted - "hygiene area" makes me think this is perhaps the sort of area where the expectation is that staff wouldn't be drinking?

sarahm96

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Hi The Food Scientist,

That's what I would prefer to do but management think that operators will be constantly leaving their work stations to get a drink from a water station, I can see their point. I'm now trying to find a water bottle which will by compliant with BRC.

sarahm96

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

Hi pHruit,

That's what I feel - it's just another potential sharps issue (and my glass/brittle plastics register is already horrendously long). I feel it needs to be clear or there will end up being filled with irn-bru etc  <_< but the clear tend to be brittle

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

Hi Sarah,

Reading this I can't help but wonder - do you actually need a water station or bottles within the hygienic area? Would it not be feasible to have the water station outside the production area, and treat the issue of staff unnecessarily leaving workstations as more of a staff/HR issue? If staff would be able to get away with that, what's to stop them doing the same kind of thing for other reasons or to keep 'going' to the toilet. Unless the conditions are such that drinking water more than during set breaks is reasonable, I would ensure the factory managers and supervisors are being accountable for their staff, and it's a bonus if the water station is somewhere in camera view so you have a record of any repeat-loiterers.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water bottles, hygiene, brc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users