• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can blue tooth speakers for music be used on forklifts?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

C_Custer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Can blue tooth speakers be used on forklifts so forklift drivers have music?

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

It really is more of an employee safety than a food safety issue. It may cause distraction. If a food safety issue, in your EMP if you have one, you may want to include them in your zoning areas, depending on the results you may choose to eliminate them. 

Edited by The Food Scientist, 14 August 2019 - 07:36 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

I think it's too much of a distraction.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

Yes, they can be used. Of course,  you did not ask about the negatives...

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

C_Custer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

So fill me in, besides being distracted what are the negatives? I don't like that they use them because of the distractions. Worried about them falling off also in the packaging area.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

So fill me in, besides being distracted what are the negatives? I don't like that they use them because of the distractions. Worried about them falling off also in the packaging area.

You just answered your question! :) If you feel they may have a risk of falling off in the packaging area and are a distraction, just eliminate them.  :hypocrite:  it all depends on how your process flow looks like.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

"Just a distraction". You are talking about people possibly getting injured, due to careless driving, property damage and food contamination. What more do you need?

-Setanta         

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:08 AM

The negatives are all caused by the distraction - I have been in only a couple of facilities out of thousands that had music on their forklifts, and they were all short lived due to accidents.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:15 AM

Distractions lead to personnel safety and quality issues.  Safety being...well you know what the number 1 cause of auto accidents in the US?  Distracted drivers....I would imagine distracted forklift drivers is probably high up the causes of safety issues related to forklift driving.

Quality issues can arise if they have specific duties to check and observe with the materials they are moving.  In our company the forklift drivers are responsible for pallet quality checks before loading into the palletizer.  On the outlet of that they are responsible for verifying the pallet labeling, case coding, pallet stacking and pallet wrapping.  So as can imagine a number of quality issues can arise if they are not paying attention.  Ask me how I know....we've experienced all of these even though there are no cell phones or other devices allowed.

Thanked by 1 Member:

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:24 AM

Hi Crudder,

I think the biggest distraction comes from fiddling with it: changing song, volume, etc.

Play it via overhead speakers or from the WH office.

Edit: Some people (myself included) are more distracted without music.

Edited by FoodSafetyPlanet, 15 August 2019 - 03:37 AM.

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

OSHA requirements are set by statute, standards and regulations. Our interpretation letters explain these requirements and how they apply to particular circumstances, but they cannot create additional employer obligations. This letter constitutes OSHA's interpretation of the requirements discussed. Note that our enforcement guidance may be affected by changes to OSHA rules. Also, from time to time we update our guidance in response to new information. To keep apprised of such developments, you can consult OSHA's website at http://www.osha.gov.

April 14, 1987

MEMORANDUM FOR: EDUARDAS J. SKLADAITIS
Regional Administrator
Regional Administrator
  SUBJECT: Use of walkman radio, tape or CD players and their effect when hearing protection is in use – Inspection No. 100499150.

Your technical request has been reviewed by Dr. John Barry who presents the following information:

Twenty different Walkman type headsets were evaluated for noise attenuation at North Carolina State University (NCSU). The NRR varied from a low of 0.3 dB to a high of 2.6 dB with an average NRR of 1 dB. Therefore, such headsets afford no ear protection.

If Walkman headsets are worn over otherwise effective ear protection, then the unit's volume control has to be adjusted to exceed the hearing protector's field attenuation. This obviates the effectiveness of the ear protection and is a violation of the noise standard 29 CFR 1910.95(i)(2)(i) or (ii).

The NCSU study also found the following facts. The typical commercial Walkman headset provided the following A-weighted decibel levels for these volume settings: 64 dBA/25%, 81 dBA/50%, 91 dBA/75%, and 96 dBA/100%. In a North Carolina textile mill where the TWA was 87 dBA NCSU researchers found the median Walkman level to be 84 dBA with 20% of the workers listening at 90 dBA or greater. The industrial hygiene department of GM found typical headset output levels of 99 to 100 dBA in auto workers with a maximum exposure level of 117 dBA. Most of the commercially-available headsets for Walkmen will produce 100 to 103 dB SPL for an output voltage of 1 mV. Therefore, listening to a Walkman unit at more than 50% to 75% rated output will generate sound levels in excess of the OSHA PEL creating a threat to the wearer's hearing, and this may also produce a safety hazard by masking environmental sounds that need to be heard.

The United States Postal Service has developed special ear muffs equipped with volume-limited music for use in monotonous high noise jobs to protect employee hearing but at the same time allowing them to enjoy background music. Such devices are in compliance with OSHA regulations if they meet the attenuation requirements relative to the workplace noise levels and their average music output is less than 90 dBA.

In summary, the following compliance direction can be put forward. Use of walkmen in noise environments in excess of Tables G-16 and D-1 is a violation. Use of Walkmen over required ear protection is a violation. Use of Walkmen in occupational noise less than Tables G-16 or D-1 is at managerial discretion unless its use causes a serious safety hazard to warrant issuance of a 5(a)(1). Management and employees must be made aware that Walkmen type devices do pose a hazard to hearing if they are played too loud for any significant length of time, whether on or off the job: The energy, not the esthetics, of sound poses the threat to human hearing sensitivity.

if you need further assistance or clarification, then contact Dr. Barry directly at the above address or by telephone (FTS 596-1201, Commercial 215-596-1201).

March 31, 1987

MEMORANDUM FOR: LINDA R. ANKU
Regional Administrator
  ATTENTION: Kenneth W. Gerecke
ARA/Technical Support
  SUBJECT: Use of Walkman Radio, and Its Effect on Hearing .

During an informal conference concerning a noise citation issued to the U.S. Postal Service, a question arose regarding the use of a walkman radio and its effect on hearing.

Employees of the Postal Service exposed to noise levels between 85 - 90 dBA routinely use walkman radios at their work stations. The Postal Service requested clarification on whether or not this practice has any adverse impact on hearing.

I am requesting clarification on this issue. Please forward your response to my attention (Inspection No. 100409150).

A prompt reply on this matter will be appreciated. If you have any questions, please contact Chrysoula J. Komis at 597-4955.

EDUARDAS J. SKLADAITIS
Area Director

[Corrected 04/03/2008]

Thanked by 1 Member:

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

Speakers typically can't be cleaned properly which poses another hazard.  I have had an FDA inspection where we were required to remove a radio due to this fact.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,414 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Getting hit by a forklift doing 5 MPH is the same as getting hit by a car doing 35 MPH.

There is zero reason to have forklift drivers listening to music while driving said forklift.

Marshall

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users