• 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

Hi all,

Quick question relating to best practice: we have a produce warehouse full of RTE and non-RTE produce for wholesale and generally we are very good at keeping the 2 separate (completely separate isles for both categories). My question relates to bramley cooking apples- I believe they should be kept on the 'dirty' side with the onions, potatoes etc as they are not ready to eat and will be cooked prior to serving but I also see where other people are coming from when they say they should be kept on the 'clean' side among our other apple varieties.

Would like some opinions on this please.

Many thanks,

Andy

On the Ball, City

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

Hi all,

Quick question relating to best practice: we have a produce warehouse full of RTE and non-RTE produce for wholesale and generally we are very good at keeping the 2 separate (completely separate isles for both categories). My question relates to bramley cooking apples- I believe they should be kept on the 'dirty' side with the onions, potatoes etc as they are not ready to eat and will be cooked prior to serving but I also see where other people are coming from when they say they should be kept on the 'clean' side among our other apple varieties.

Would like some opinions on this please.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Offhand I would have thought that, perhaps depending on the packaging, "taint" might also be an issue for apple-lovers.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Amstel Bryan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

Hi Andy!

Even though it is not ready to eat, foods prior processing must be kept clean and stored in a clean warehouse. In addition this will help you to minimize pest concerns within your vicinity. Another thing, it might be a cause of possible of cross-contamination within your vicinity and products if not maintained well. On the other hand ISO/TS 20002-1:2009 states that "Exceptions for bulk or agricultural crop materials shall be documented in the food safety management system." But i think its best to store them in a clean warehouse, but if you really want to keep in on your dirty warehouse, you must put in your manual/program and put control measures for possible contamination etc.

Hope this helped.

Bryan

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Hi Andy,

Offhand I would have thought that, perhaps depending on the packaging, "taint" might also be an issue for apple-lovers.

Hi Andy!

Even though it is not ready to eat, foods prior processing must be kept clean and stored in a clean warehouse. In addition this will help you to minimize pest concerns within your vicinity. Another thing, it might be a cause of possible of cross-contamination within your vicinity and products if not maintained well. On the other hand ISO/TS 20002-1:2009 states that "Exceptions for bulk or agricultural crop materials shall be documented in the food safety management system." But i think its best to store them in a clean warehouse, but if you really want to keep in on your dirty warehouse, you must put in your manual/program and put control measures for possible contamination etc.

Hope this helped.

Bryan

Thank you both for your inputs. As the RTE and non-RTE apples are all in sealed cardboard boxes I don't believe taint would be a realistic risk in our scenario. I'll take both your comments on board and see what my colleagues make of them also.

Many thanks,

Andy

On the Ball, City

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users