Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

Looking for recommendations for a magnet pull test kit - brand, type, digital or analog scale, etc.  

Thanks in advance!

KRG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

Hello MsMars,

We use a kit from Industrial Magnets, Inc (analog). Pretty simple, straightforward. My only complaint is their form: the date and time could be more prominent, and I preferred to perform more tests than what they had in each row. Please see the attached pdf of the manual.

Thanked by 2 Members:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

i have the digital one from bunting.  it works fine.   My question with analog is that i dont think most of them come with a certificate of calibration - which you would also need.   depending on your magnets and the manufacture's specified strength a gauss meter maybe a better solution.  i think they take a lot of the testing error out of the process and you dont need to deal with the cumbersome spacers.  depending on magnet position the pull test can be awkward.  the gauss meter also eliminates that issue.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

i have the digital one from bunting.  it works fine.   My question with analog is that i dont think most of them come with a certificate of calibration - which you would also need.   depending on your magnets and the manufacture's specified strength a gauss meter maybe a better solution.  i think they take a lot of the testing error out of the process and you dont need to deal with the cumbersome spacers.  depending on magnet position the pull test can be awkward.  the gauss meter also eliminates that issue.  

We had an analog one, but I don't remember the brand name. Now that you mentioned it, if our auditor ever asked for the certificate of calibration, we would have gotten a non-conformance.  :shutup:  I never even thought about it (for some reason). We only really used it once a year, so I guess in my case it was "out of sight - out of mind".

Thanked by 1 Member:

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

Went with a digital kit from Bunting.  The calibration only has about three months left on it before it's due again  :doh: so that's my only complaint so far.  Looking to utilize it during some down time soon... will update further. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

Went with a digital kit from Bunting.  The calibration only has about three months left on it before it's due again  :doh: so that's my only complaint so far.  Looking to utilize it during some down time soon... will update further. 

Thats just wrong......  I sent mine off to be recalibrated by whoever bunting uses.   Its pretty painless, but not super cheap.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:57 PM

Thats just wrong......  I sent mine off to be recalibrated by whoever bunting uses.   Its pretty painless, but not super cheap.  

I was not happy when I looked at the certificate.  I've contacted Bunting with the hope they will honor a free calibration. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users