• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:56 PM

Hello,

I need advice on the better route to take in this situation. We are a low risk warehouse but we have SQF certification for manufacturing because we pump product from trucks into silos for storage. It was brought to my attention that our current loading and unloading practices interfere with our pest prevention program. Currently, we have the truck park outside of the warehouse, we open the loading dock, and connect hoses to pump product. This means the loading dock door is open. Should we continue in this way to avoid environmental contamination inside by leaving the truck outside and risking pests coming in through the open door or should we bring the truck inside so that we can close the door? All that would be surrounding the truck would be product in sealed containers (the warehouse space) and a couple of feet from the pumps pulling into or from our silos. The truck would be off. Would we have to change our policies to clean the floors after every truck rather than once a week? Any advice is appreciated. 

Edited by KSMFF, 18 September 2019 - 06:56 PM.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

Hello,

I need advice on the better route to take in this situation. We are a low risk warehouse but we have SQF certification for manufacturing because we pump product from trucks into silos for storage. It was brought to my attention that our current loading and unloading practices interfere with our pest prevention program. Currently, we have the truck park outside of the warehouse, we open the loading dock, and connect hoses to pump product. This means the loading dock door is open. Should we continue in this way to avoid environmental contamination inside by leaving the truck outside and risking pests coming in through the open door or should we bring the truck inside so that we can close the door? All that would be surrounding the truck would be product in sealed containers (the warehouse space) and a couple of feet from the pumps pulling into or from our silos. The truck would be off. Would we have to change our policies to clean the floors after every truck rather than once a week? Any advice is appreciated. 

Can you place a port for your hose near the dock? It needs to be just big enough for the hose to be able to fit through without damage. It would have flaps that lift up on the outside and the inside of the building. When the hose is removed, the flaps close, and you don't have any pest issues.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,614 posts
  • 1133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

I am curious to know who or whom sold you on being a "manufacturer" on  the SQF certification .... what is your FSC #

And, two - how do you handle what is pumped into the silo's after it is in the silos?

And three - Unless you want to completely change the infastructure of your building do not have a truck enter the building.

and four - most times I see what QAGB mentioned above - a port in the side of the building for the tanker to hook up to and pump in.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Private CONSULTANT

(Food, Emerging Financials & Supplements)

ceo - Goodstart Coastal Enterprises, LLC

United States of the Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

KSMFF

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:52 PM

I am curious to know who or whom sold you on being a "manufacturer" on  the SQF certification .... what is your FSC #

And, two - how do you handle what is pumped into the silo's after it is in the silos?

And three - Unless you want to completely change the infastructure of your building do not have a truck enter the building.

and four - most times I see what QAGB mentioned above - a port in the side of the building for the tanker to hook up to and pump in.

Hello! Thank you for your reply.

The SQF program was implemented before I started with the company, but from my understanding, it was a customer requirement to do the manufacturing aspect of the certification because we handle product by pumping it to and from trucks. We are categories 19 and 26. As for how we handle the product in the silos, it is stored in there until we get an order, then it is pumped into tanker trucks. 

Can you explain what you mean by the infrastructure of the building would have to change? Would the loading area need to closed off from any warehousing? 

And thank you, we have rubber flaps on the sides of another loading door where we receive boxes because that door is open while the truck is being loaded or unloaded so maybe we could do something similar on the door used for the trucks. 

KSMFF

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Can you place a port for your hose near the dock? It needs to be just big enough for the hose to be able to fit through without damage. It would have flaps that lift up on the outside and the inside of the building. When the hose is removed, the flaps close, and you don't have any pest issues.

Hello! Do you have any links to what a port like this would look like? We have flaps at another door, but they do not have any hose capabilities as far as I can see, so I am having trouble picturing what this would involve. 

Edited by KSMFF, 19 September 2019 - 03:54 PM.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

Wow, so it took me forever to find an example. I don't know why...these are pretty common (at least with suggestion #1). Unfortunately I don't work in a liquid facility anymore, so I would have just gone outside and snapped some pics for you.

Suggestion #1: Load in/load out ports (completely enclosed)

https://www.technosi...truck-unloading

Suggestion #2: Hose port where hose can enter building (similar to a pet door as linked) we had ours made out of stainless steel and custom built to fit around the food grade hoses. We had types from both Suggestion #1 and Suggestion #2 in one facility where I worked.

https://www.overstoc...86/product.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,614 posts
  • 1133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Hello! Thank you for your reply.

The SQF program was implemented before I started with the company, but from my understanding, it was a customer requirement to do the manufacturing aspect of the certification because we handle product by pumping it to and from trucks. We are categories 19 and 26. As for how we handle the product in the silos, it is stored in there until we get an order, then it is pumped into tanker trucks. 

Can you explain what you mean by the infrastructure of the building would have to change? Would the loading area need to closed off from any warehousing? 

And thank you, we have rubber flaps on the sides of another loading door where we receive boxes because that door is open while the truck is being loaded or unloaded so maybe we could do something similar on the door used for the trucks. 

Based on your explanation - your facility is improperly classified. Not sure how a customer dictated to a CB for FSC 19 - but stranger things have happened in SQF.

By infastructure I mean walls, floor, ceiling, etc. - You really don't want to have tanker trucks coming in the building becuase then you have to safeguard for fuel, lubricants, filth, etc.

Punch a hole in the wall - that is what our pizza crust client did.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Private CONSULTANT

(Food, Emerging Financials & Supplements)

ceo - Goodstart Coastal Enterprises, LLC

United States of the Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,070 posts
  • 848 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Just to add another vote for running it through the wall as a relatively easy solution. We have a miniature lockable metal door (think steel cat flap) that we can run a flexible hose through to hook up to tankers parked outside. Much cleaner than bringing a truck into the building, and significantly better for pest prevention and general site security than having the full loading doors open.

(Sorry, a policy for which I'm partially responsible prevents me sharing photos!)

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

Just to add another vote for running it through the wall as a relatively easy solution. We have a miniature lockable metal door (think steel cat flap) that we can run a flexible hose through to hook up to tankers parked outside. Much cleaner than bringing a truck into the building, and significantly better for pest prevention and general site security than having the full loading doors open.

(Sorry, a policy for which I'm partially responsible prevents me sharing photos!)

Yep, we had those too. That's what I was trying to describe in my post #6 suggestion #2. Pictures of that kind of flapped door are hard to find, so I just tried to find a similar pet door.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,320 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

SInce pumping is your main activity and it is to and from tankers / trucks why not make a permanent line from the exterior to interior?  Keep the hose outside for flexibility in hooking up to the truck / tanker and have a permanent line (stainless recommended) running inside to the silo.  This eliminates any potential pest issue.  Even a hose port can be a problem if it isn't kept closed, doesn't seal well, get banged up or torn off (I've seen it happen).

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, Truck, Warehouse, Pest Control, Contamination, Loading Practices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users