• Quick Navigation
Photo

What do you include in your lot code descriptions?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

tde19

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

Hello All!

We are working on updating our lot code nomenclature across the board. I am curious if you have opinions on how specific you like your suppliers to be in their lot code explanation. Are you mainly looking for date of manufacture where if our lot code is using Julian date that is explained? If most of our lot code is used for internal purposes is that enough information for you? I've listed an example below and the wording I would like to use. 

AGT1243FB

The first 3 digits are used for internal tracking purposes and the next 3 digits represent the product’s date of production, using Julian date, the final 3 digits represent other internal traceability information.

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

I feel like this would be most of the information I'd need...except your lot code seems to be missing "year" from the Julian Date. Do you provide date of manufacture and/or date of expiry on your product? Otherwise, how can they decipher your code to determine exactly how old it is?

FoodSafetyPlanet

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

Hi T,

Generally, I like have a plant ID (if there are multiple locations) and time stamp.
It's also helpful to keep the first digits the same, since it's easier to teach someone to take a picture of the "AG" number vs. take a picture of the lot code. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users