• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are there any risks with wearing an arm sling?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

klutzek8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

Hi-

Although we do not produce food, we were required by a customer to go through a scored AIB audit (which we passed). In our injection molding area, operators are required to wear gowns and hairnets to reduce the opportunity for hair or other contaminants from getting on a molded device. It is not a clean room environment. We have a crew leader that is currently required to wear a sling on his arm. He does not operate equipment as he is supervising the crew. He is still wearing the gown and the hairnet in addition to the sling. Has anyone else encountered this? I feel it is low risk.

Thank you

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:31 PM

Hi-

Although we do not produce food, we were required by a customer to go through a scored AIB audit (which we passed). In our injection molding area, operators are required to wear gowns and hairnets to reduce the opportunity for hair or other contaminants from getting on a molded device. It is not a clean room environment. We have a crew leader that is currently required to wear a sling on his arm. He does not operate equipment as he is supervising the crew. He is still wearing the gown and the hairnet in addition to the sling. Has anyone else encountered this? I feel it is low risk.

Thank you

Were you assigned a non-conformance for this?

He isn't actually performing any equipment operation tasks, so I don't know why this would be an issue.

klutzek8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

No, we were not given a nonconformance for it. Another production employee raised a concern about it.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Unless there is something strange about the sling this is a non-issue.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

Seems like it would fall under your general clothing considerations. Is it tattered?, Is it clean?, Can it come off easily?, Would they not know it if it did?

My only real concern is safety, that it could get caught in the machinery and cause further injury but even that is not likely given their role on the line.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users