• Quick Navigation
Photo

At what % of the final product will an ingredient have to be declared?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Alfiebru

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:42 AM

Hi

At what percentage of the final product will an ingredient have to be declared? I have in my head 2% but I'm not certain on that.

One of our products contains yeast extract which is less than 1% of the final product - would this have to be declared?

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:46 AM

Hi

At what percentage of the final product will an ingredient have to be declared? I have in my head 2% but I'm not certain on that.

One of our products contains yeast extract which is less than 1% of the final product - would this have to be declared?

Thanks

This is US thread but maybe of interest -

https://www.ifsqn.co...minute-amounts/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

Hi

Thanks

I'm not aware of a general threshold below which an ingredient doesn't need to be declared for labelling in the UK/EU - consider e.g. flavours used at 0.1%, additives used at <0.1% etc.

Is it possible that you're confusing this with the 2% threshold below which ingredients no longer need to be ordered in descending weight? (Point 6 of Part A of Annex VII of Regulation (EU) 1169/2011)

Or possibly the 2% threshold below which the constituent parts of compound ingredients do not require separate declaration, as defined under Point 2 of Part C of the same annex? 

Unless someone else has a reference with something I'm not familiar with, you'd definitely need to declare the yeast extract unless it's present as part of a composite ingredient subject to one of the exemptions in Part C of the annex noted above.

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:46 PM

Agreed with pHruit. It sounds like the EU regs also match the FDA regs for labeling. In the US, there is no specified percentage for when you don't have to declare an ingredient for labeling either.

Play it safe and declare the yeast extract.

Edited by QAGB, 02 October 2019 - 11:46 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

for the EU: ingredient is ingredient, i.e. no limit. Very simple definition: Everything added intentionally is an ingredient.

Ingredients has to be listed in the list of ingredients in descending order based on the amount. Below 2 % the order is not defined. But of course all ingredients have to be listed.

Rgds

moskito

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users