• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can I write a log showing we have reviewed the preventative controls?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

kevinkt

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

hello,

I am reviewing our preventative control documentation for an upcoming unannounced audit for costco. Right now on each page there is a header with the issue date and supersedes date. My question is if we do not change anything to the preventative controls do we need to reprint the entire program (30 sheets) just so that the header can show an updated date? Can I write a log that shows that we have reviewed the preventative controls and sign off on it? 

arahman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

What do your policy say about review dates? Do you review annually?

Isn't there a history of revision section for the document?

If nothing has changed and If you have a 'review date' as well as 'issue date' and 'supersedes date' on the header section, than you can write the review date and sign and date.

If not, then print, sign and date for review.

kevinkt

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

What do your policy say about review dates? Do you review annually?

Isn't there a history of revision section for the document?

If nothing has changed and If you have a 'review date' as well as 'issue date' and 'supersedes date' on the header section, than you can write the review date and sign and date.

If not, then print, sign and date for review.

Thank you, Our policy is to review plans at least annually. What we have been doing is reprinting all documents with new dates but that is proving to use a lot of paper !  That is the thing, I do not know if it is alright to have a separate sheet that just lists the review history of the plan while the documents still have a 2017 date on the header. If I can just have a separate paper with a history of review then that would save a lot of paper. 

wtheriot

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:47 PM

Yes you can have a Change/Review log in front of each document. This will allow you to sign off and date a review without having to change the whole document.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kevinkt

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 45 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

Yes you can have a Change/Review log in front of each document. This will allow you to sign off and date a review without having to change the whole document.

thank you! 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

Sorry if I'm being daft but why print it out?  What is the print out giving you that an electronic version isn't?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

Sorry if I'm being daft but why print it out?  What is the print out giving you that an electronic version isn't?

Something physical to put in an auditor's hands?
We still find that some like a hard copy of certain docs to review, so I still print our HACCP plan and various other key bits of the QMS.

It's also handy backup in case the IT department accidentally kills the network / server just as you're starting a BRC audit... ;)

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Something physical to put in an auditor's hands?
We still find that some like a hard copy of certain docs to review, so I still print our HACCP plan and various other key bits of the QMS.

It's also handy backup in case the IT department accidentally kills the network / server just as you're starting a BRC audit... ;)

I suppose but at some point quality people need to all trust technology.  If you want a hard copy just print out the 30 pages and recycle the previous version. 

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:06 PM

I suppose but at some point quality people need to all trust technology.  If you want a hard copy just print out the 30 pages and recycle the previous version. 

Well...as much as I would like to trust technology, I have been at work just twiddling my thumbs for hours (on several occasions) because the server went down. Our whole network was out, so we couldn't answer e-mails, or access any files.

Luckily not during an audit.  :eek_yello:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

Доверяй, но проверяй

Trust but Verify (and be able to show your documentation at all times!!

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:11 PM

Well...as much as I would like to trust technology, I have been at work just twiddling my thumbs for hours (on several occasions) because the server went down. Our whole network was out, so we couldn't answer e-mails, or access any files.

Luckily not during an audit.  :eek_yello:

Then reprint...  I mean it's only 30 pages.

Alternatively, split it up into several documents.  So my old HACCP plan had a document for the scope and terms of reference, one for the process flow etc.  Then I only updated the doc control and reprinted the section(s) I'd changed rather than the whole thing.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users