Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

I'm a high school student trying to craft my science fair research project. I want to perform an experiment to test different cleaning methods on the presence of the peanut allergen on a non-porous surface. I was doing some research, and all of the available environmental test kits appear to be qualitative or semi-quantitative. One of the project requirements is that the dependent variable must be quantitative. Is there any available environmental allergen test that is quantitative? (I have checked Neogen, maybe I missed something) The cheaper the better, however I understand that a test that meets these specifications will be somewhat expensive.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

I'm a high school student trying to craft my science fair research project. I want to perform an experiment to test different cleaning methods on the presence of the peanut allergen on a non-porous surface. I was doing some research, and all of the available environmental test kits appear to be qualitative or semi-quantitative. One of the project requirements is that the dependent variable must be quantitative. Is there any available environmental allergen test that is quantitative? (I have checked Neogen, maybe I missed something) The cheaper the better, however I understand that a test that meets these specifications will be somewhat expensive.

Hi cmo,

Yes, you maybe missed something, Or perhaps it depends on semantics.

From Neogen documentation -

B.   Quantitative tests

Neogen’s Veratox and BioKits test kits determine the concentration of a target food allergen in ingredients, liquids, clean-in-place rinses and in finished foods.

1.  Veratox.  These  tests  are  microwell  ELISA  kits  that  detect  a  target  food  allergen  in  about  30 minutes following extraction. Following the test procedure, color changes in the sample wells are compared to the standards in the control wells using a microwell reader. Exact food allergen concentrations in the samples are computed using the comparisons.

2.  BioKits.  Microwell  ELISA  assay  test  kits  that  detect  target  allergens  in  approximately 1½ hours following extraction

Attached File  Neogen - Food_Allergen_Handbook.pdf   864.68KB   23 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

ELISA is a quantitative method. 

https://www.romerlab...rgen-test-kits/

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

fepuhe

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:46 AM

Hope this could help

Attached Files