• IFSQN Member
  • 141 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:12 PM

Hi all,

We are very small company(2 people) and unit has only one room. We just pack Caviar- receive in big tins then open and repack into small tins with new label.

Our one room unit is in a bigger industrial unit which has purpose built food production units within used by different food manufacturers.

All production units share common changing room area and canteen etc.

Pest control is also centrally manage by the main unit management.

We now want to go ahead with SALSA.

Would these shared facilities and pest control record would be acceptable by SALSA auditor.

Thanks for your support.

Martin Blue

mohamed ahmed yusuf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 190 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Egypt
    Egypt
  • Interests:Reading, Listening music, handball , volleyball, food safety, drawing , R&D, Photoshop

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:15 AM

Hi Martin,

First of all i would like to send my congrats and best wishes for your project!

And about your accreditation by SALSA, i didn't work with this standard but generally, to be accredited by any standard you have to apply the standards needs as possible before applying and it doesn't matter if your work place a huge or small, so i think you have to contact with them before getting an audit to explain and discuss with them if accreditation will face any obstacles or will go smoothly.

And remember the SALSA's quote (Highlighted part into the attached photo).

Best wishes,

Wish you a great day!

Attached Files

M.Yusuf

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

Hi Martin,

Do any of the other units at the site have SALSA or another accreditation? If so, they clearly found a way of justifying the shared changing room so it may be worth getting some advice from them.

If not, the best thing to do is risk assess who else uses the communal changing room and see what controls, if any, are required to ensure you and your colleague can change safely (i.e. do the other units handle allergens or raw meat??)

Certainly the pest control will be fine so long as on the day of the audit you have access to the records that cover your unit (although I presume from your post that every unit is covered during the same inspection anyway).

Good luck,

Andy

Edited by Andy_Yellows, 21 November 2019 - 08:05 AM.

On the Ball, City

Thanked by 1 Member:

Martinblue

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 141 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

Hi Martin,

Do any of the other units at the site have SALSA or another accreditation? If so, they clearly found a way of justifying the shared changing room so it may be worth getting some advice from them.

If not, the best thing to do is risk assess who else uses the communal changing room and see what controls, if any, are required to ensure you and your colleague can change safely (i.e. do the other units handle allergens or raw meat??)

Certainly the pest control will be fine so long as on the day of the audit you have access to the records that cover your unit (although I presume from your post that every unit is covered during the same inspection anyway).

Good luck,

Andy

Thanks Andy for input.

I was told other units have SALSA but be honest I have not verified, my be need to dig a bit deeper to find out.

I agree as minimum some sort of risk assessment must be in place to justify.

Thanks

Martin

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

I'd start speaking to some other units asap- I'm sure the guys there will be willing to help you out. Good luck

On the Ball, City

Lorraine BM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hello Martin,

I'm a lead auditor, Technical & Quality Manager with over 20 years experience with BRC and SALSA.

I'm more than happy to assist you with achieving your SALSA accreditation if you'd like to contact me ?

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SALSA, Caviar, Small unit, Pest Control, Shared Record

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users