• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can you have different policies for record retention time?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

mpa26

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:06 PM

We have a customer asking for a 3 year record retention and our current policy is 2 (shelf life plus 1 year) -- can we have two different policies? 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

I'd always go for the longer one.  So if your customer is asking for 3 years, I'd keep everything for 3 years.  If you're very paperwork based, some companies will scan these for you (at a cost) to save on storage space.  Alternatively it could be the push you need to go for electronic records.

Thanked by 1 Member:

LesleySR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

Certainly under BRC this is possible (Ver 8 section 3.3.2) as long as you define this & IFS (ver 6.1 clause 2.1.2) but the problem arises when you need to segregate what is relevant for a customer & what isn't....

eg. most UK companies I have worked at define record retention as 3 years, we then started working with a retailer who specified 5 years... and whilst we could have defined that in the policy, the difficulty would then have been separating the records for that customer & archiving those that were no longer relevant, so we decided to go for 5 years for all records, which has created a spectacular amount of stored records.

In summary - as long as you define this clearly & can show compliance - you can work to whatever system suits your company.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,665 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:04 PM

Not suggested that you have 2 policies, will almost always cause an issue.

If your customer is big enough I'd make a blanket 3-year policy.

If not, I'd push back and tell them your standard policy is 2 years.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

It's completely up to you unless you accept it within customer specifications, then you have to. I'm not sure why you wouldn't save them for 3 years anyway. Once you handle them all one last time and archive them you're done with them unless you have to reference them for some reason. You'll have to archive them one way or another so unless you actually run out of room, you'll have to purge them too so the purge will just happen one year later.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mpa26

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

Thank you for the feedback and advice...greatly appreciated. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

We have a customer asking for a 3 year record retention and our current policy is 2 (shelf life plus 1 year) -- can we have two different policies? 

I suppose you could always define Policy as minimum 2 years and then internally adjust as appropriate ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

I think about the only way to keep a defined rule is to keep all records for 2 years unless a customer specifies a longer period of time. If it's written into your policy / procedure, you abide by it and can prove it and it doesn't create a food safety or quality risk I don't see how they could deduct for it?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

2nd alternative - modify the policy, eg (US/PMO) -

4. Record Retention a. All records, required by this Section, shall be retained at the milk plant, receiving station or transfer station for perishable or refrigerated products, for at least one (1) year after the date that such products were prepared, and in the case of frozen, preserved, or shelf-stable products, for two (2) years after the date that the products were prepared or the shelf-life of the product, whichever is greater, unless longer retention time is required by other regulations individual customers.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ahmed mohamed

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

Certainly under BRC this is possible (Ver 8 section 3.3.2) as long as you define this & IFS (ver 6.1 clause 2.1.2) but the problem arises when you need to segregate what is relevant for a customer & what isn't....

eg. most UK companies I have worked at define record retention as 3 years, we then started working with a retailer who specified 5 years... and whilst we could have defined that in the policy, the difficulty would then have been separating the records for that customer & archiving those that were no longer relevant, so we decided to go for 5 years for all records, which has created a spectacular amount of stored records.

In summary - as long as you define this clearly & can show compliance - you can work to whatever system suits your company.

:thumbup:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users