• Quick Navigation
Photo

Cleaning small wares that have been in contact with allergens?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Weebus90

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 78 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

HI Everyone, 

I came across a requirement that my company has in regards to cleaning small wares that have been in contact with allergens. 

The requirement states "Wash all items that come in contact with food allergens LAST and separate from all other items. Wash, rinse, sanitize your three compartment sink after cleaning items that have come in contact with known allergens"

I've always thought that the cleaning solution is what removes the allergen proteins and never heard that when washing items that have come in contact with allergens these should be washed Last and then the sink drained and washed as well. We wash the sinks at the beginning and end of the day. 

I cant find the regulation that this was pulled from and was curious if anyone could point me in the right direction if it exists. 

Thanks!

Weebus

Edited by Weebus90, 24 January 2020 - 02:33 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:00 PM

"I've always thought that the cleaning solution is what removes the allergen proteins "

I was fortunate to have worked for a manufactuer of cleaning chemicals - including the 3-bay sink process and associated chemicals.

The only time the cleaning solution (soap) removes the allergen proteins is when it is specifically formulated to do so.

You really need to check out how the chemical you are using for washing items to see if it will take out the allergen proteins or not.

Your company may have purchased soap by price instead of ability to get the job done properly to begin with - that would be the starting point (undestanding how the detergent/soap works) before making changes to the process.

It may be that your company went cheap, identified an issue but did not run a full analysis and now got stuck with the extra expenses of labor, water, soap, etc without realizing all they needed to do was change detergents.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic