• Quick Navigation
Photo

Any special considerations or risk with glass packaging?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic
- - - - -

larissaj

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 17 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

Hello,

We currently package our roasted nuts in zip-lock or cello bags and on occasion plastic containers. A potential new co-packer was wanting to package his own product (we would roast here) in glass like jars. There would be no metal on this packaging.

If this goes through is there anything extra that needs to be done besides adding this to the usual documents? I have never had a major change in packaging material before. I didnt want glass and still trying to get out of it however this customer really wants it.

We have a metal detector for our CCP. The customer is stating the jars are already washed as well.

Is there some training I can do to get a better understanding on this, I know its silly but its very new to me to use glass.  

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

Not sure about a specific training course for it, but yes it requires some extra consideration due to the obvious potential for the generation of significant foreign body hazards.
I'd personally want to see some detail on exactly what "washing" is involved beforehand, but in any case you may need to think about some extra controls.
I've not done any dry product in glass but for liquids it's common to do a wash and inversion (to ensure any bits of broken glass are removed) prior to filling. Even if the jars leave the supplier in perfect condition, you will almost certainly find that some are broken by the time you come to use them, or get broken as they make their way through the line.
On a similar front you'll want to think about breakage and line clearance procedures - if one shatters while you're filling, you need to make sure it doesn't pose a risk to other product, so you'll have to work out how many others might be affected and define an area to clear (e.g. x jars either side, consideration of potential impact on adjacent lines and nearby processes), a procedure to clean and inspect the line before resuming, clearance of the general area, change of clothing (fragments will stick to cloth, and can then recontaminate area/products after the rest of the breakage has been cleared) etc.

Basically you'll be working with a packaging material that at some point will cause contamination risks, so you need to plan on the basis that this will happen, and look through the process and work out how best to ensure that this doesn't make it into any food you release for sale.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:19 PM

I was in beverage facility that packed the beverage in glass bottles. We has a strict glass policy to the point that every-time there was a breakage the line would need to be automatically shut down. A vacuum would come in and QA needed to be there to give the clearance. All PPE had to be changed outWe also had all bottles inspected prior to being filled. Instead of a metal detector I requested an X-ray machine. We color coded our bins for specific glass breakage. I hope this helps. 

I did not have an issue with auditors because of the strict policy/ procedures that even they would see on the floor. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users