• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC policy naming, can they be Directives?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

dianecarole2000

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:55 AM

Hi 

I work for a company that is part of a global group. The group management have recently decided that the only polices that are allowed are the ones at group level. This causes an issue for us since it is a very wide diverse group of companies. 

We are BRC certified, and BRC demands a number of policies, which we have always had, but now we are told that these need to be 'Directives' rather than policies. Do you think this is acceptable under BRC? We are trying to push back against this corporate decision, but I need some evidence or back up.

Thank you to any one who has some good suggestions or knowledge on this topic

Diane Carole

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:24 AM

There is nothing in the standard that states that the required policies have to actually be titled "policies", so I guess it's ok as long as the content of these directives covers the required content. I could see it raising a few eyebrows amongst auditors though, and in your position I'd be pushing back on it as there is no need to make audits any more challenging ;)

How well do you think these people know the BRC standard?
e.g. whilst it doesn't say "policies shall be called policies", you could perhaps present clauses such as 1.1.1 to them in a way that implied it needed to specifically be a document called "Food Safety & Quality Policy" or similar?

Thanked by 1 Member:

dianecarole2000

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

Thank you, yes they know nothing about BRC but they are also determined :/  This is why I am looking for some good advice on how to convince them that we need these as policies.

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

BRC has several policies that need to be identified as such:

1 Quality Policy

2 Glass Policy

3 Hygiene Policy

4 Jewelry Policy

5 Allergen Policy

pHruit is right that the content is important but if you want to keep the terms consistent then you can just hand them sections of the BRC that use the wording you are looking for.  BRC is nothing if not consistent in its terminology.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users